A COVID-19 case has led Hyundai to shut down its factory in Alabama
- Hyundai said that a COVID-19 case had emerged at its Montgomery, Alabama, factory and that the facility had closed Wednesday morning.
- Hyundai follows GM, Ford, FCA, and Honda is closing North American factories amid a worsening coronavirus outbreak.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
On Wednesday, Hyundai announced that a COVID-19 case at is factory in Montgomery, Alabama, and said that it had shut down the plant in the morning.
The plant is known as "Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama" (HMMA) and has been open since the early 2000s.
"HMMA has already deployed additional sanitation measures across the entire facility and will now follow ADPH's protocols for disinfecting the affected work area," Hyundai said in statement, adding that it was conferring with the Alabama Dept. of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control on additional steps.
"The health and well-being of our Team Members is a top priority for our company," Hyundai said.
"We are following ADPH's protocols for disinfecting the affected work area and deploying additional sanitation measures across the entire facility. Once HMMA's environment, health, and safety team have determined that the affected area has been sufficiently sanitized and production is safe to resume, our team members will be informed."
As the coronavirus outbreak worsens in North America, General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles have shut down all their factories, in consultation with the United Auto Workers, which represents some 150,000 workers.
Hyundai didn't specify how long the Montgomery plant would be idled. But other plant closures could range from six days to the end of March.
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- Xiaomi and Leica partner for a flagship device, Xiaomi 12 Ultra expected to launch in July
- Zomato, HDFC, HDFC Bank, Paytm and other hot stocks to watch out for on May 23
- Telangana minister wants cess scrapped and fuel prices back to 2014 levels
- Not just India, many countries are protecting their wheat to keep daily bread, affordable
- Chidambaram triggers state vs center revenue debate after govt's excise cut on fuel