Aluminum industry urges govt to reduce basic customs duty on critical raw materials
"To improve the cost structure of the Indian Aluminium industry and enhance competitiveness, it is requested to reduce the basic custom duty on the...critical raw materials," the Aluminium Association of India (AAI) said.
In its suggestions to the government for the upcoming Union Budget 2020-21, the aluminium industry said the basic customs duty on raw materials like aluminium fluoride, caustic soda lye and green anode/pre-baked carbon anode should be reduced to 2.5 per cent from current 7.5 per cent.
"The high import duties on raw materials is a huge disadvantage for domestic aluminium producers which are heavily dependent on imported raw materials. It results in Indian finished goods (getting) costlier and uncompetitive in international markets, rendering negative protection against cheaper imports of finished products, and discourages domestic value addition within the country," it said.
AAI has also suggested to the government to increase import duty on "aluminium scrap (HS Code 7602)" at par with primary aluminium metal to 10 per cent from the present 2.5 per cent in a bid to encourage recycling of domestic scrap and restrict increasing scrap imports.
The primary aluminium industry is facing severe threat from the increasing import of aluminium scrap, which constitutes around 58 per cent of the total aluminium imports in FY 2019-20, resulting in forex outgo of Rs 17,200 crore, it said.
AAI has also asked the government to eliminate high cess on coal (Rs 400/MT) to support the power intensive industries like aluminium and retain competitiveness of the domestic industry.
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Spotify set to overtake Apple Podcasts by the end of this year: eMarketer
- Bitcoin scammers used Apple's iPhone 13 reveal to steal $69,000 from fans
- Mirror, mirror on the wall; when will you stop judging us all: asks Taapsee Pannu in her latest ad with SUGAR Cosmetics
- This Indian chef says he is making his entire month's salary from one Instagram video but for him it’s just a tool
- Evergrande’s impact on Bitcoin highlights how cryptocurrencies still have growing pains