BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- A total of ₹ 32,000 crore will be paid to the winning bidder over a period of 35 years for the maintenance of these trains.
- The financial bids will be opened in the next 45 days.
VandeBharat trains are expected to be a big upgrade from the premium Rajdhani Express service.
State-run Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) has formed a consortium with
Other players in the fray include French railway major Alstom; Medha-Stadler consortium between Swiss railway rolling stock manufacturer
Officials said while ₹ 26,000 crore is the upfront payment on the delivery of the trains, ₹ 32,000 crore will be paid to the winning bidder over a period of 35 years for the maintenance of these trains.
According to the tender document, the successful bidder has to produce a prototype of the sleeper class for Vande Bharat trains within 24 months.
The Indian Railways is targeting to roll out the first sleeper version of Vande Bharat train by the first quarter of 2024. Till now, the railways has awarded contracts for manufacture of 102 Vande Bharat trains which are all chair car.
The Vande Bharat trains are expected to be a big upgrade from the premium Rajdhani Express service. The sleeper class-version of these trains will be run on the routes to cover overnight rail journey like New Delhi-Patna, New Delhi-Lucknow and others.
After four years of intensive work and planning, country's first and the second Vande Bharat trains as electric multiple units at semi-high speed, were flagged off by Prime Minister
The first VB train was flagged on the New Delhi-Varanasi route and the second one was on New Dehi-Katra route to provide fast rail transportation from the national capital to these pilgrim cities.
The railway ministry is also working towards exporting these trains by 2026 to cover the international markets of South Africa and European countries.
SEE ALSO: Long Covid linked with increased body weight : Study
India's mfg PMI hits 3-month high in Nov amid expansion in production, slowdown in inflation: S&P
Wipro Infrastructure Engineering acquires Pune-based Linecraft.ai for an undisclosed sum
Popular on BI
- Budget to aid flagging affordable home segment, boosts demand with infra push
- BYJU's slashes over 1,000 jobs, mostly from its engineering teams
- Budget 2023-24: Positive for infra and credit growth
- Budget 2023-24: Continued focus on infra to enable growth, create jobs & enhance quality of life
- Budget 2023 proposes 20% TCS on foreign expenses under LRS