Centre asks states, UTs not to interrupt, close food processing units
In a communication to all chief secretaries of states and administrators of all UTs, secretary in the department for promotion of industry and internal trade (DPIIT) Guruprasad Mohapatra has also urged to allow workers and operators at retail outlets, pharmacies, manufacturing units to travel to their units.
"In the wake of precautions being taken by various states for prevention of COVID-19 through lockdowns and various other precautionary measures, it is seen to issue clear instructions from DPIIT to state authorities to not obstruct and call for closure of food processing units, since they manufacture food stuff and to maintain uninterrupted supply for citizens of our country," the letter dated March 23 said.
It added that for the consumer items to be readily available in the market, all food processing companies should be allowed to keep their manufacturing facilities open under the strictest of safety and hygiene guidelines and any executive order or section 144 restrictions should include the exemption of these units, distribution and sales channels servicing the food and beverage market, including food delivery services.
The secretary also asked to give due permission to transport vehicles carrying raw material, intermediaries to and from the food processing units.
"Clear advisory to ensure inter-state movement of goods for the food processing industry to ensure uninterrupted movement and supply of goods and services; specifically for e-commerce, food processing, delivery boys, and Movement of trucks," the letter said.
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Why Google employees fear the worst as the company quietly extends its hiring freeze
- Galaxy Digital terminates $1.2 billion acquisition of crypto firm BitGo
- Markets poised for positive momentum in August as domestic and global inflation eases
- Here’s a list of stocks that can benefit from the festive season
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years