Dr Reddy's launches generic version of Daraprim tablets in the US
The company's product is the only generic version of Daraprim tablet which has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA).
"Our team's relentless pursuit of this difficult-to-procure reference drug and its active pharmaceutical ingredients, in addition to recent actions from the USFDA, will benefit patients by providing a more affordable alternative to the brand," Dr Reddy's Labs North America Generics CEO Marc Kikuchi said in a statement.The company is offering this product at a substantial discount compared with the current brand price, he added.Advertisement
Pyrimethamine is indicated for the treatment of toxoplasmosis when used conjointly with a sulfonamide, since synergism exists with this combination.
Toxoplasmosis is a disease caused by toxoplasma gondii parasite. The infection may be caused by eating undercooked, contaminated meat or drinking contaminated water. Besides, the parasite may be ingested through contact with infected cat feces.As per IQVIA Health, the Daraprim brand had sales of around USD 10 million for the 12 months ended January 2020.
Dr Reddy's shares were trading 10.28 per cent up at Rs 2,892.40 apiece on the BSE. MSS ANUANU
- PTI tally of COVID-19 cases and deaths in India at 9:35pm
- Man who tested COVID-19 positive commits suicide in south Delhi hospital
- 38 more people test positive for COVID-19 in Punjab; total rises to 2,301
- 423 new COVID-19 cases detected in Gujarat; 25 more die
- Mumbai COVID-19 cases cross 40,000 mark; 40 more die