Govt pegs UIDAI's allocation at Rs 985 cr for FY21
In the current fiscal, the UIDAI was originally allocated Rs 1,227 crore when the Modi-2.0 government presented the Union Budget on July 5 last year. But the amount was revised downwards to Rs 836.7 crore, according to Budget 2020-21 documents.
The document did not provide reasons for the downward revision but it could be because of non-utilisation of all the funds allocated to the UIDAI.The UIDAI is the nodal body for Aadhaar, an identity infrastructure for delivery of various social welfare programs and effective targeting of these services. Advertisement
In December last year, the UIDAI had said that 125 crore residents of India have Aadhaar, the 12-digit unique identity number.
"The achievement comes along with the rapidly increasing use of Aadhaar as the primary identity document by the Aadhaar holders. This is evident from the fact that Aadhaar-based authentication services have been used close to 37,000 crore times since inception," it had then said.The UIDAI receives about 3 crore authentication requests every day. Also, it receives about 3-4 lakh Aadhaar update requests daily. MBI BAL
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- COVID infections breach 5,000 mark in Karnataka; 378 new cases and 280 discharges in a day
- Covid-19 infection linked to stroke in healthy young people: Study
- 'About 28,000 farmers affected in Pune due to recent cyclone'
- Canara Bank cuts in repo-linked lending rate by 40 bps
- Virus: 5 BSF men, 2 Kandla Port workers test positive in Kutch