NBFCs NPA ratio jumps to 6.1 pc: RBI
The net NPA ratio saw a marginal uptick at 3.4 per cent in the fiscal ended March 2019, compared to 3.3 per cent in FY18.
In its report on Trends and Progress 2018-19, the Reserve Bank of India said in FY20, up to September, asset quality of the sector showed deterioration with a slight increase in gross non-performing asset (GNPA) ratio.However, it did not disclose of the September NPA ratio. Advertisement
The report said in 2018-19, GNPA ratio of non-deposit NBFCs deteriorated to 6.1 per cent from 5.3 per cent in FY18.
The net NPA ratio for NBFCs-ND-SI edged up marginally, reflecting the maintenance of adequate buffers, especially by microfinance institutions (MFIs) and Infrastructure Finance Companies (IFC).NBFCs-MFI, however, reported a significant improvement in the GNPA ratio at 4.3 per cent in FY19 compared to 7.5 per cent.
"The improvement in the GNPA ratio of the NBFCs-MFI may be attributed to write offs of aging loans," the report said.In the case of deposit taking NBFCs, gross NPAs declined to 5.3 per cent in FY19 to 6.1 per cent in FY18. The report said although the NBFC sector grew in size to Rs 30.9 lakh crore in FY19 from Rs 26.2 lakh crore in FY18, the pace of expansion was lower than in FY18, mainly due to rating downgrades and liquidity stress in a few large NBFCs in the aftermath of the IL&FS event. Advertisement
Despite liquidity stress faced by the sector, there was expansion in asset size of IFCs.
Balance-sheets of NBFCs-MFI also expanded on the back of strong growth in their loans and advances, especially to the agriculture sector.In 2018-19, credit extended by NBFCs continued to grow, the report said adding, "industry is the largest recipient of credit provided by the NBFC sector, followed by retail loans and services". HV RUJ BAL BAL
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- On International Podcast Day, these Indian entrepreneurs have launched a marketplace for podcasters and advertisers to connect
- Chemcon trades at over 111% grey market premium ahead of listing tomorrow
- RBI records its largest-ever current account surplus — but that’s not necessarily a good thing
- Maharashtra government stays contentious order implementing new farm laws
- Airtel launches new cybersecurity product with CISCO, Radware, VMware, and Forcepoint for enterprises — it took ₹100 crore and over a year to set up