NHAI collects Rs 20 cr from 18 lakh defaulters entering FASTag lanes
Rolling out the electronic toll collection programme across India in December, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had said that double toll charge would be collected from the vehicles entering FASTag lanes without the tag.
In order to give prime importance to existing FASTag users, dissuade defaulters and further encourage adoption of FASTags by national highways commuters, vehicles without FASTags entering the FASTag lane are being charged double the toll fee, NHAI said in a statement.
"Till now, a total number of 18 lakh vehicles defaulted by encroaching FASTag lanes across India has resulted in a double charge cash toll accumulation of about Rs 20 crore," it said.
RFID based FASTag, an electronic toll collection system implemented by the NHAI, has proved to be instrumental in easing the lives of commuters on national highways within two months of its nationwide implementation, it said.
Over 1.55 crore FASTags have been issued through multiple Point of Sale (PoS) locations.
NHAI has been observing increased sale rate of FASTags which is a clear indication of this digital system being accepted well, the statement said.
As a result, FASTag transaction has crossed a landmark count of 4 million per day, it added.
The statement said FASTag resulted in smooth and hassle-free movement of FASTag users on highways.
The implementation of FASTags across the country has met with the desired response so far, it said adding the adoption of FASTags also means that it has brought in the much-needed transparency in collection at toll booths.
In order to further increase digital collection of user fee via FASTag at national highways fee plazas, NHAI has recently waived off the FASTag cost of Rs 100 for NHAI FASTag from February 15, 2020 to February 29, 2020.
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India