Ola expands ESOP pool to ₹3,000 crore, issues stock worth ₹400 crore to employees
Olabelieves this allocation will reward Ola’s ‘high impact’ employees.
- The company claims to have seen a strong recovery in its ride hailing business.
- Earlier this month, Ola raised $500 million in a pre-IPO round.
AdvertisementRide hailing giant Ola has expanded its employee stock option plan (
ESOPs are employee benefit plans to offer employees a limited number of shares in the company. The company believes that this allocation will reward Ola’s high impact employees and lead to a long-term wealth creation for them.
“Our expanded ESOP programme, along with the fresh stock allocation of ₹400 crore, enables our key talent to participate in the long term wealth creation opportunities generated by their innovations and the impact they create. It will also reinforce their sense of ownership and align their growth with that of the company as we continue to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable mobility” said Bhavish Aggarwal, Ola’s cofounder and chief executive.
Ola, in its press note, also highlighted that the company has seen strong recovery in its ride hailing business over the last several months. The company was severely hit by the first wave of COVID-19, as its revenue declined by 95% in April-May 2020. This led to layoffs in the company, impacting over 1,400 employees in May 2020.
The Bengaluru-based startup got the wheels for its IPO rolling earlier this month, when it raised $500 million from investment titans Temasek and Warburg Pincus in a pre-IPO round. The company’s chief executive Aggarwal also infused an undisclosed amount in the startup in his personal capacity.
The company was founded in 2010 by Aggarwal and Ankit Bhati. It has marked its presence across three continents. It has raised $4 billion to date from marquee investors like SoftBank, Tencent, Steadview Capital, Eternal, Sailing Capital, China Eurasian Economic Cooperation Fund and others.
Automobile marketplace Droom is raising $200 million in a pre-IPO round at unicorn valuation
The Whole Truth, a ‘healthy’ packaged food brand, raises $6 million to enter new categories
Rolex Rings IPO opens today with a price band of ₹880-900
Popular on BI
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- Meta unveils VR headset 'Quest 3' ahead of Apple’s WWDC event
- May auto sales see Maruti, two-wheelers make a comeback; EVs accelerate
- Employees unpaid but this startup rents a Taj Land's End boardroom for ₹80K a day
- Entrepreneurship dreams? Here is a door to knock for guidance
- Asus ROG Strix Scar 17 2023 review