One thing we now know for sure is in the budget proposals— a new infra lending institution
- This bill primarily proposes a
new development financial institution(DFI), “as a provider, enabler and catalyst for infrastructure financing.”
- DFIs are constituted to merge both the commercial viability of a bank along with the fulfilment of societal requirements.
- Industrialists like Ajay Piramal, the owner of the Piramal group, had expressed his desire for a DFI in an exclusive conversation with Business Insider in October 2020.
National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID) bill is one of the key bills among that 20 that have been tabled in the
This bill primarily proposes a new
This kind of a lending body was one of the demands from the industry for a while now especially since the pandemic— and the pile of bad loans before that— had forced to tighten the flow of credit.
Industrialists like Ajay Piramal, the $2.9 billion owner of the Piramal group, which has interests from glass manufacturing to real estate to financial services, had expressed his desire for a DFI, in an exclusive conversation with Business Insider, way back in October.
What are development financial institutions?
DFIs are constituted to merge both the commercial viability of a bank along with the fulfilment of societal requirements. Basically, they are not solely profit-making institutions, unlike commercial banks. And they give loans for projects which may take as long as 15-25 years to be executed.
This forced these developmental banks to raise financial resources at market-based rates, leading to the inevitable downfall of these banks. And while ICICI and IDBI were converted into full-fledged commercial banks, Industrial Investment Bank of India shut shop altogether.
A golden chance for startups to raise a funding of ₹2 million in just 10 minutes at IIT Bombay’s E-Summit 2021
The founder of India’s largest broking firm argues that Gamestop-like chaos would never happen in India
Popular on BI
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- A microchip implant that lets you control your sleep cycle might soon be a reality
- Thums Up's latest ad celebrates the grit and determination of Indian fast bowler Mohammad Siraj
- This brand is airing ads made on PPT during IPL to convey the importance of saving money
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Buying support pushes equities higher; ONGC, UPL, Bajaj Finance, JSW Steel rise