Researchers at IIT-M develop solar parabolic trough collector
Chennai, May 21 (): A new trough collector equipped with enhanced energy to serve industries has been developed by Indian Institute of Madras (IIT-M), its researchers said here on Wednesday. The 'Parabolic Trough Collector' is a lightweight and low-cost system with high energy efficiency and can operate under the country's varied climatic conditions. Besides, it can pave way for sustainable energy solutions in agriculture and industrial process heat sectors. The 'Trough Collector' focuses sunlight on a small area where it is absorbed and then utilised for heating and subsequently into energy generation, the researchers said. The system can help manufacturers in solar energy devices with higher efficiency, they said. The concept also follows the Centre's National Solar Mission which has set a target of providing 20,000 MW solar power by 2022. Commenting on the development, IIT-M professor K Srinivas Reddy said solar energy is a most propitious technology for clinching sustainability in the energy domain. "Particularly, concentrated solar power technology can meet therma and electrical energy demands due to its high dispatchability and reliability", Reddy, who led the team to develop the collector, said. States like Bihar, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat have great potential to harness this energy, he said. VIJ NVG NVG
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
Popular on BI
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar