Rupee gains 19 paise to 82.19/$ on dollar weakness and firm equities
Forextraders said sustained foreign fund outflows weighed on investor sentiments and restricted the appreciation bias.
- On Thursday, the
rupeesettled 9 paise higher at 82.38 against the US dollar.
- The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, fell 0.23 per cent to 104.53.
The rupee appreciated 19 paise to 82.19 against the US dollar in early trade on Friday on broad dollar weakness and a firm trend in domestic equities. Forex traders said sustained foreign fund outflows weighed on investor sentiments and restricted the appreciation bias.
At the interbank foreign exchange, the domestic unit opened at 82.30 against the dollar, then gained further ground to touch 82.19, registering a rise of 19 paise over its previous close.
On Thursday, the rupee settled 9 paise higher at 82.38 against the US dollar.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, fell 0.23 per cent to 104.53.
"With China relaxing its COVID restrictions such as mass testing, lockdowns and quarantine requirements, it is widely feared that cases and deaths would shoot up, causing further widespread economic disruptions. This is something we need to keep a close eye on,"
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, advanced 0.89 per cent to USD 76.83 per barrel.
In the domestic equity market, the 30-share
SEE ALSO: Sensex, Nifty50 open in the green – Paytm rises on buyback proposal, HCL Tech declines
Football players age faster than others, says a Harvard study
The future is connected: 80% of traditional TV viewers want to switch in a year says Finecast Kantar
Popular on BI
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- Laid-off Google employees are turning to a Discord server with nearly 18,000 members for emotional support and financial advice
- WhatsApp rolls out ability to create avatars on iOS
- One in four users unaware of crypto cybercrime risks: Cybersecurity firm Kaspersky
- Telegram adds real-time message translation in its new update
- Global smartphone revenue fall by 9% in 2022: Counterpoint Research
- Ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf dies in Dubai: Pak media