Rupee jumps 22 paise to 71.71 as crude oil prices ease
The domestic unit started the session on a positive note and held its ground in early transactions at the Interbank Foreign Exchange.
On Monday, the rupee had settled at 71.93 against the US currency.
Global oil benchmark Brent crude cooled 1.23 per cent to USD 68.06 per barrel after the Pentagon on Monday distanced itself from US President Donald Trump's threats to bomb Iranian cultural sites despite international prohibitions on such attacks.
Meanwhile, domestic equity market opened on a positive note. After hitting a high of 41,135.47, the 30-share BSE Sensex was trading 450 points or 1.11 per cent higher at 41,126.63. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty rallied 132.25 points or 1.10 per cent to 12,125.30.
Foreign funds sold shares worth Rs 103.84 crore in the capital markets on a net basis on Monday, provisional data showed.
The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading marginally higher at 96.66.
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- Vivo Y3s budget smartphone with HD+ display, 5,000mAh battery launched in India
- Delhi records its first death due to dengue this year
- Your phone may replace your metro card soon — DMRC is planning to introduce NFC payments at entry gates
- Crypto hackers now target iPhone users via dating apps like Bumble, Tinder
- HP Envy 14 review: A solid no-frills laptop for productivity and occasional gaming