Rupee jumps 22 paise to 71.71 as crude oil prices ease
The domestic unit started the session on a positive note and held its ground in early transactions at the Interbank Foreign Exchange.
On Monday, the rupee had settled at 71.93 against the US currency.Global oil benchmark Brent crude cooled 1.23 per cent to USD 68.06 per barrel after the Pentagon on Monday distanced itself from US President Donald Trump's threats to bomb Iranian cultural sites despite international prohibitions on such attacks.
Foreign funds sold shares worth Rs 103.84 crore in the capital markets on a net basis on Monday, provisional data showed.The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading marginally higher at 96.66.
Investors have been selling riskier assets and rushing to safe haven assets amid the US-Iran tensions that spurt in the last few days after an American drone strike killed top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani last week. MKJ RVK ANS ANS
- After Bihar, now BJP promises free Corona vaccine in MP
- Sanofi, GSK to support COVAX with 200mn doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Union Minister Smriti Irani tests positive for COVID-19
- Samsung overtakes Xiaomi to retake the smartphone crown in India
- Axis Bank is back in the black as fee collections ramp up and ₹10,000 crore in fund raising cushions the balance sheet