Tech majors are also the companies that employ the highest number of women
- With 2,10,000 women employees,Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been named as the highest women employees in the Hurun list released on December 2.
- Other IT majors Infosys, Wipro, HCL Technologies have also been ranked at second, third and fourth respectively in the list in terms of number of women employees.
- The 500 companies together employ 7.3 million people, out of which 137 firms have more than 10,000 employees.
AdvertisementWith 2,10,000 women employees, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been named as the highest women employer among 500 most valuable companies, by a Hurun report.
In spite of the distinction, women make up only 35% of the workforce of India’s largest IT company, as per 2022 Burgundy Private Hurun India 500 report. TCS added 27,055 new female employees between FY21 and FY22, the report says.
TCS also ranks at the second most valuable company on the list with a valuation of ₹11,68,390 crore, in spite of shedding 10% of its value in the one year period. TCS also employs the most people in general with a total workforce of 5,92,195.
Other IT majors Infosys, Wipro, HCL Technologies have also been ranked at second, third and fourth respectively in the list in terms of number of women employees.
Overall, all 500 companies in the list employ over 11.6 lakh women in total, as per the report. The report, which came on December 1, listed out the most valuable companies in India – from a 234-year-old sugar and nutraceutical firm to a year-old startup.
Top women employers in India
Source: 2022 Burgundy Private Hurun India 500 report
|Company||No. of women employees||Women employees percentage in the workforce|
|Tata Consultancy Services||2,10,000||35%|
|Motherson Sumi Systems||52,501||41%|
Innerwear and socks manufacturer has the highest % of women employees
Interestingly, innerwear and socks manufacturer company Page Industries has the highest percentage of women at 74% among the companies in the list.
After Page Industries, Motherson Sumi Systems and IT major Infosys have the highest women percentage at 41% and 40% respectively.
Reliance Industries, which has been named as India’s most valuable company by the report, has only 18% of women employees in its workforce and hired 22,620 new female employees in the last one year.
The 500 companies together employ 7.3 million people, out of which 137 companies have more than 10,000 employees and 103 companies have less than 1,000 employees, according to the report.
Around 3.9 lakh new jobs were created by the companies in the list in the last one year.
All the 500 companies in the list have appointed 664 women directors on their respective boards. Apollo Hospitals has the highest number of women directors out of all the companies.
Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
Popular on BI
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- Laid-off Google employees are turning to a Discord server with nearly 18,000 members for emotional support and financial advice
- WhatsApp rolls out ability to create avatars on iOS
- One in four users unaware of crypto cybercrime risks: Cybersecurity firm Kaspersky
- Telegram adds real-time message translation in its new update
- Global smartphone revenue fall by 9% in 2022: Counterpoint Research
- Ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf dies in Dubai: Pak media