Telcos have to pay Rs 1.47 lakh cr in past dues; no proposal to waive off interest, penalty: Prasad
In replies to separate questions in the Lok Sabha, Prasad said telecom companies owe the government Rs 92,642 crore in unpaid licence fee, and another Rs 55,054 crore in outstanding spectrum usage charges.
These liabilities arose after the Supreme Court last month held that non-telecom revenues have to be considered for calculating statutory dues.
To a question on penalty imposed on telecom companies, Prasad said the outstanding SUC (spectrum usage charges) dues of various telecom service providers as on October 31, 2019, added to Rs 55,054 crore.
"This amount is subject to be revised once the AGR (adjusted gross revenue) figures are finalised and assessments are done accordingly," the minister said.
The government has directed the licensees to make the payments in accordance with the order of the Supreme Court dated October 24, 2019, and submit requisite documents within the stipulated timeframe.
In another written reply, the minister said the provisional outstanding of the telecom service providers on account of licence fee stood at a cumulative Rs 92,642 crore as on July 2019, and added that the amounts are provisional and subject to revision in light of the Supreme Court ruling on AGR matter on October 24, 2019.
A Committee of Secretaries chaired by Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba has held meetings regarding the issues related to telecom sector, the minister said.
In the case of Bharti Airtel, the liabilities added up to nearly Rs 35,586 crore, of which Rs 21,682 crore is licence fee and another Rs 13,904.01 crore is the SUC dues (not including the dues of Telenor and Tata Teleservices).
In the case of Vodafone Idea, this number stands at a cumulative Rs 53,038 crore, including Rs 24,729 crore of SUC dues and Rs 28,309 crore in licence fee.
The government is currently not considering any proposal on waiver of penalties and interest on outstanding licence fee based on adjusted gross revenue (AGR), or on extending the timelines for telecom companies to pay up their statutory dues.
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report
- Best smartphones under ₹40,000 in India