The best breathalyzers for personal use
- The best personal breathalyzers are compact and give fast, accurate blood alcohol content (BAC) readings to within 0.001%.
- Of all the breathalyzers out there, the BACtrack Trace Professional Breathalyzer is the best because it remembers your previous tests and uses police-grade sensor technology.
Between open-bar work parties and getting through visits with grating family members, it's hard to blame anyone for wanting to throw back a few drinks to take the edge off during the holidays. Unfortunately, we cannot always tell if we are in good enough condition to get behind the wheel of a car. Thankfully, there are a number of top-quality personal breathalyzers available to help you avoid driving under the influence (DUI).Before we begin talking about our personal breathalyzer picks, it is important to note some limitations. First of all, and most importantly, your ability to drive is completely unrelated to a BAC number. If you feel impaired, you should not drive. Period.Advertisement
On the other hand, if you feel perfectly okay to drive, you should wait at least half an hour after you last eat or drink anything before testing your BAC because your BAC can increase even after you stop drinking since your body keeps absorbing alcohol. If you still do not feel impaired, then a breathalyzer can provide you an objective measurement of whether you can legally drive or not.
That said, the breathalyzers on the market these days vary wildly in their accuracy and reliability. For the most part, you do get what you pay for. The more expensive models tend to be more accurate. But, as you have heard from countless news stories, even the best devices used by law enforcement officers can register false positives.We pored over thousands of user and expert reviews and ratings to find the best personal breathalyzers. Our picks were chosen based on their accuracy, track record with reviewers, and ease of use.
Here are the best breathalyzers you can buy:
- Best breathalyzer overall: BACtrack Trace Professional Breathalyzer
- Best high accuracy breathalyzer: BACtrack S80 Professional Breathalyzer
- Best breathalyzer you never have to recalibrate: AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer
- Best breathalyzer that works with your smartphone: BACtrack Mobile Smartphone Breathalyzer
- Best affordable breathalyzer: AlcoHAWK Slim Digital Breathalyzer
Updated on 10/21/2019 by Monica Chin: Updated prices and formatting.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best breathalyzer overall
The best high accuracy breathalyzerAdvertisement
The best breathalyzer you never have to recalibrate
The best breathalyzer that works with your smartphoneAdvertisement
The best affordable breathalyzer
- Russia to begin COVID-19 vaccine production within 2 weeks
- Pune district reports 2,997 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours
- Three companies qualify for submission of financial bid for new Parliament building
- Top stocks to watch today— Britannia, Hero MotoCorp, Ashok Leyland, M&M Financial, Indiabulls Housing and more
- Odisha witnesses highest single-day spike of 1,876 fresh cases