10 million people tried Ola for the first time last fiscal year, says CEO Bhavish Aggarwal
Olais now on a lookout for more driver partners, as it plans to expand into new cities and product offering.
- Ola’s revenue declined by 95% in the first quarter of FY2021 due to the pandemic.
- The impact of the pandemic will be long-drawn for Ola as the world is not going to “revert” to pre-COVID era anytime soon, CEO Aggarwal had said last year.
This coincides with the fact that it crossed its pre-COVID level gross merchandise value (GMV), last week. Ola is now on a lookout for more driver partners, as it plans to expand into new cities and product offering.
India is moving again! Our @olacabs GMV crossed pre-covid levels last week. Recovery from second wave is 3 times faster. Clearly India is up and about! Some interesting trends as #IndiaIsMoving👇 pic.twitter.com/ERJfBR5s8f— Bhavish Aggarwal (@bhash) September 7, 2021
The development does come as a surprise as Ola had been massively impacted by COVID-induced travel restrictions and lockdown last year. The Bengaluru-based startup had to lay off 1,400 employees from its workforce in May 2020 as its revenue declined by 95% in the first two months of the financial year 2021.
He also mentioned that the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic will be long-drawn for Ola as the world if not going to “revert” to pre-COVID era anytime soon.
“Social distancing, anxiety, and an abundance of caution will be the operating principles for everyone,” he wrote in an email to employees while announcing the layoffs.
Ola was founded by Aggarwal and Ankit Bhati in 2010. The company has its presence across three continents. It has raised more than $4 billion to date from marquee investors like SoftBank, Tencent, Steadview Capital, Eternal, Sailing Capital, China Eurasian Economic Cooperation Fund and others.
Zoho Corp invests $5 million in medical devices startup Voxelgrids
Former Tiger Global exec Lee Fixel picks Delhivery as his second bet in India, after Inshorts
El Salvador just bought 400 bitcoin and plans to buy 'a lot more,' a day before making it an official currency
- Vodafone Idea, Zee Entertainment, Airtel and other top stocks to watch out for on September 23
- It’s good that India wants just two GST slabs but it has to ensure it doesn’t hurt consumers
- Best car seat for kids in India
- Best glass feeding bottle for newborn babies in India
- Best toddler bags for kids in India