Gupshup, an Indian AI startup, raises $100 million from Tiger Global to join India’s fast growing club of unicorns
- Gupshup, the artificial intelligence led conversational messaging platform, has become the 10th
unicornfrom India in 2021.
- It was founded by Beerud Sheth, a serial entrepreneur and co-founded Elance (Upwork), a poster boy of the gig economy.
- Founded in 2004, the
startuphad last raised funds in 2011.
Founded in 2004, the startup had last raised funds in 2011. The startup also said that the current investment will be followed by a ‘second close with significant additional funds raised from more investors.’
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
Gupshup is a smart messaging platform that helps companies reach out to their consumers. It was the first company that
AdvertisementGupshup was founded by Beerud Sheth -- a serial entrepreneur and co-founded Elance – a poster boy of the gig economy. Elance went public on Nasdaq in 2019 as Upwork.
“Customers expect to converse with businesses the way they do with friends. They expect the conversation to be simple, easy, quick, contextual, and personalised. Gupshup’s mission is to build the tools that help businesses better engage customers through mobile messaging and conversational experiences,” said Sheth in a statement.
The company claims that its application programming interface (API) enables over 100,000 developers and businesses to build messaging and conversational experiences ‘delivering over 6 billion messages per month across 30+ messaging channels’. It also claims an annual run rate of $150 million.
“It’s like having a personal assistant that goes through your texts and gives you the important information. Gupshup is taking the mess out of messaging,” Sheth had told Business Insider in an earlier interview.
ShareChat is this year’s 9th unicorn as it raises over $500 million from Tiger Global, Snap and Twitter
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists
- Sun TV Network's advertising revenue shrinks, but profit jumps 11% on subscriptions