Gupshup, an Indian AI startup, raises $100 million from Tiger Global to join India’s fast growing club of unicorns
- Gupshup, the artificial intelligence led conversational messaging platform, has become the 10th
unicornfrom India in 2021.
- It was founded by Beerud Sheth, a serial entrepreneur and co-founded Elance (Upwork), a poster boy of the gig economy.
- Founded in 2004, the
startuphad last raised funds in 2011.
Ten years after it last raised funds,
View all Offers
View all Offers
Amazon Brand - Symbol Men's Slim Casual Trousers₹ 639₹ 1899Buy On
Amazon Brand - Symbol Men's Regular Polo Shirt₹ 329₹ 1199Buy On
- 65% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Women's Cotton Crew Neck Sweat Shirt (305 SMU_L_Maroon_Red, Maroon_L)₹ 454₹ 1299Buy On
- 6% OFF
NEWPORT Mens Regular Fit Sweatshirt Black₹ 450₹ 1799Buy On
Diverse Men's Chino Shorts₹ 599₹ 1499Buy On
Founded in 2004, the startup had last raised funds in 2011. The startup also said that the current investment will be followed by a ‘second close with significant additional funds raised from more investors.’
Gupshup is a smart messaging platform that helps companies reach out to their consumers. It was the first company that
AdvertisementGupshup was founded by Beerud Sheth -- a serial entrepreneur and co-founded Elance – a poster boy of the gig economy. Elance went public on Nasdaq in 2019 as Upwork.
“Customers expect to converse with businesses the way they do with friends. They expect the conversation to be simple, easy, quick, contextual, and personalised. Gupshup’s mission is to build the tools that help businesses better engage customers through mobile messaging and conversational experiences,” said Sheth in a statement.
The company claims that its application programming interface (API) enables over 100,000 developers and businesses to build messaging and conversational experiences ‘delivering over 6 billion messages per month across 30+ messaging channels’. It also claims an annual run rate of $150 million.
“It’s like having a personal assistant that goes through your texts and gives you the important information. Gupshup is taking the mess out of messaging,” Sheth had told Business Insider in an earlier interview.
ShareChat is this year’s 9th unicorn as it raises over $500 million from Tiger Global, Snap and Twitter
Popular on BI
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Top deals on recliners, sofas and more home furnishing items
- Best fashion and beauty deals during Amazon sale
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Best audio deals on headphones, speakers
- GST on salaries? A new ruling can cause a lot of confusion and litigation
- Nykaa's rival Purplle raises $38 million from Pantaloon’s CEO, Sequoia