Prosus buys payment gateway firm BillDesk in one of India's biggest fintech deals ever
Business Insider India
- The acquisition would allow PayU to become one of the leading
online paymentsproviders, globally.
- Prior to this, PayU has acquired CitrusPay, Paysense and Wibmo in the Indian market.
BillDeskcurrently handles close to $147 billion in payments, annually.
This is one of the biggest buyouts done by Prosus and one of the largest merger and acquisition deals in the Indian fintech industry.
The acquisition would allow PayU to become one of the leading online payments providers, globally, with presence in over 20 markets and increased total payments volume (TPV) of over $4 billion. BillDesk is currently handling TPV of $147 billion annually.
"Together, the two expect to create a financial ecosystem handling 4 billion transactions annually -- four times PayU’s current level in India,” the investment firm said in a press note.
Prior to this, PayU has acquired CitrusPay, Paysense and Wibmo in the Indian market in order to expand its business across several vertices. Meanwhile, Prosus has invested about $10 billion in India over the last decade.
“Payments and fintech is a core segment for Prosus, and India remains our number one investment destination” Bob van Dijk, group chief executive of Prosus, said.
Vijaya Diagnostic IPO — analysts say ‘subscribe’ but the grey market premium isn’t exciting
Google’s AI-based upscaling technology can generate high-resolution images from poor quality images
Popular on BI
- 1,330 recognised startups from gaming and related sectors as on Nov 30: Som Parkash
- Sula Vineyards to open IPO next week from Dec 12-14; GMP already at ₹70 per share
- India to add 9 million gig jobs by 2025 says Indeed report
- From Brahmastra to KGF: The most searched movies on Google in 2022 in India
- Adjusted for inflation, policy rate still remains accommodative, says RBI Governor