Zomato, BYJU'S, Dream11 lead startups’ share of the $12 billion PE-VC funding in first three months of 2021
- Indian cos garnered $11.9 billion in funding across 199 deals as per data released by Venture Intelligence.
Startupsalone have made way for $4.2 billion in funding so far in 2021.
- The major part of the funding in the first three months came through the one deal – Dewan Housing Finance or DHFL’s $5.2 billion acquisition by Piramal Enterprises.
AdvertisementIndian companies have had a great beginning to 2021 as funding from private equity and venture capital firms soared. In the first three months of 2021, Indian cos garnered $11.9 billion in funding across 199 deals as per data released by Venture Intelligence.
The large funding amount comes from a smaller number of deals as compared to the first three months of 2020, which had seen $6.5 billion in funding from 244 deals. This means that PE-VC firms have handed out larger cheques to a smaller number of firms so far in 2021.
Investment in startups alone have made way for $4.2 billion in funding so far in 2021, 40% higher than $3.5 billion in the January-March quarter in 2020.
Startups like BYJU’S,
The availability of funding is now more than ever before which has also led to a growth in startups, as pointed out in a recent report by Credit Suisse. “Startups are now 10% of new companies formed every year; helped by more funding,” said the report.
Revolut’s India plan starts with a $25 million investment and possibly, a fintech acquisition
EXCLUSIVE: Inside Ritesh Agarwal’s family office and its early investments
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Sebi to boost disclosure norms; do away with permanent board seats for individuals
- Here are the ten big income tax rule changes that will come into effect from April 1
- Not just for OTT, people rely on digital to discover & engage with content across TV and movies: BCG-Meta Report
- SPC Lifesciences files draft papers with SEBI for IPO
- Sensex rallies 346 pts, Nifty near 17,100 on firm global markets