California's economy is as big as France's - here's how every state compares to other countries in a single map
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Bureau of Economic Analysis and CIA
- The US economy is so large that the economies of individual states rival those of entire countries.
- Using data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis and the CIA World Factbook, we found the country with the closest-sized economy to each state.
The economy of the United States is so incredibly vast that the individual state economies that make it up compare to entire countries.
Using data for the 2017 state gross domestic product from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, and data for the economies of the 229 countries tracked in the CIA's World Factbook, adjusted for purchasing-power parity, we found the country that had the closest-sized economy for each state.
California's $2.8 trillion GDP is just shy of France's $2.9 trillion economy, while the $321 billion economy of Wisconsin is slightly larger than Israel's $317 billion GDP.
Here's each state's GDP, along with the closest country and that nation's GDP:
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Bureau of Economic Analysis and CIA World Factbook
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Rice might pricier as erratic rains hold back sowing across states
- Elon Musk says it’s a joke, hours after saying he is buying Manchester United
- Delhi govt departments to hire 17,256 people via direct recruitment
- Abductors accept ₹1.3 cr in Bitcoins as ransom in UP bizman kidnapping case
- 150 cartons of chocolate worth ₹17 lakh stolen from a Lucknow godown