California's economy is as big as France's - here's how every state compares to other countries in a single map
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Bureau of Economic Analysis and CIA
- The US economy is so large that the economies of individual states rival those of entire countries.
- Using data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis and the CIA World Factbook, we found the country with the closest-sized economy to each state.
The economy of the United States is so incredibly vast that the individual state economies that make it up compare to entire countries.Using data for the 2017 state gross domestic product from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, and data for the economies of the 229 countries tracked in the CIA's World Factbook, adjusted for purchasing-power parity, we found the country that had the closest-sized economy for each state.
Here's each state's GDP, along with the closest country and that nation's GDP:
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Bureau of Economic Analysis and CIA World Factbook
- Andhra ASHA worker's death following Covid jab triggers protest
- Downloadable e-version of voter identity card to be launched on January 25
- Covid-19 test mandatory for guests attending Varun Dhawan's wedding
- First confirmed case of COVID-19 in pet reported in South Korea
- All iPhone 13 models to come with sensor-shift camera stabilisation, says report