Here’s how freelancers can manage their finances to combat erratic inflow of cash
- More people are adopting freelance work to engage in diverse fields, thanks to the freedom to choose, flexibility of work hours.
- Managing finances is one of the major pain points in a freelancer’s career.
Accounting softwareand mobile applications help organise payments and track expenses.
Most of the domains of freelance work comes with project deadlines and hence the payday can be extended. Since freelancers have to deal with multiple income sources, they have to be ready for all kinds of people — those who pay quickly and those who extend it to the end of the year. They could either be paid the very next day of submitting the work or a month after execution.
Given that, the ability of a freelancer to make ends meet depends on their ability to manage finances. Since they also juggle between multiple projects, organising heap of invoices is also a tedious and time-consuming task.
Here are five things that can help manage the finances.
Accounting softwares are a lot of help. For instance,
Keep business account separate
Having a separate business account saves the hustle of micro-managing your personal expenses against your business payments and transactions. It helps to plan the budget well — from expenses to tax filing. This way, it is easy to track the expense on freelance work and the cash flow.
Following up with the client is a daunting task. Having a clarity on submission and due dates eases it. For longer projects, it is also good to set breakthroughs and even charge an upfront fee, to ensure timely payments.
Save for taxes
The drawback of working as a freelancer is saving up for taxes. As a freelancer, set a portion of your income aside monthly, for tax obligations.
Credit cards to the rescue
Use credit cards for payment of bills and other work-related expenditure. So, it doesn’t haunt you when clients delay payments.
Popular on BI
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024