Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham enters the top 100 in THE rankings for the very first time
- As many as 11 Indian universities featured in the top 100 list of the Times Higher Education (THE) Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020.
- A surprise entrant
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeethamfrom Coimbatore was ranked at 90th position.
- Engineering students at the institute are also attracting high pay packets. This year, it placed 80% of the batch — with Atlassian offering the highest salary at ₹52 lakh per annum.
- It has comparatively higher intake of international students at 12% — against merely 2% at the iconic engineering and research institutions like IITs and IISc.
While the list includes the iconic Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) — it also featured a surprise entrant Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham from Coimbatore.
Ranked at 90th position, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham entered the top 100 for the very first time — crawling up 51 spots from last year.
Hefty pay packets
Recruiters like Microsoft, Cisco, Amazon and McKinsey & Co too have been flocking this 16-year old university. This year, the institute placed 80% of its engineering batch and its salary is comparable to the elite IITs and NITs at ₹52 lakh per annum — offered by Atlassian. Cisco hired 27 students at ₹29 lpa while Amazon hired seven students at ₹28 lpa.
“With more than 80 reputed companies visiting the campus since the placement season began in July 2019, more than 82% of B.Tech students are already placed in various organisations with good salary packages as per industry standards,” The New Indian Express reported citing the institute’s statement.
International students flock
The institute, which was also featured in the Eminence scheme of the Human Resource & Development ministry (MHRD) improved on average score and performance parameters such as industry income and international outlook, as per the Times Higher Education.
It has comparatively higher intake of international students at 12% — against merely 2% at the iconic engineering and research institutions like IITs and IISc.
The performance growth may be attributed to its international partnership for bilateral governmental research programmes. It has research collaborations with over 20 US universities across areas like cyber security. The university also has associations with European and Japanese institutions.
“The Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020 suggests that real progress is being made by a number of institutions in a number of metrics across our robust methodology, and could mark an exciting turning point for Indian higher education, enabled in part by the Institutes of Eminence scheme,” said Phil Baty, chief knowledge officer, THE.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has over 14,000 engineering and research students overseen by more than 1,700 faculty staff. That means, merely over 11 students per staff member. Founded in 2003,
India Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has been ranked 16th among the global universities scoring 55.3 points for its research practices. Among other institutions on THE list are IIT Delhi, IIT Roorkee, IIT Indore, IIT Madras, IIT Ropar and IIT Kanpur.
Popular on BI
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons