Benching, firing and re-deploying — the story of 20,000 employees at tech majors
- Technology giants —
Capgemini, Infosysand Cognizant— are aggressively cutting jobs across levels.
- French technology multinational Capgemini has axed almost 500 jobs in India to increase productivity.
- Meanwhile, Infosys is expected to layoff almost 10% of its workforce — accounting for 12,000 jobs.
- These layoffs comes on the back of ongoing job cuts in Cognizant. According to a recent announcement, as many as 7,000 mid and senior level jobs are on the line — accounting for 2% of its workforce.
French technology multinational Capgemini will layoff almost 500 jobs in India to improve productivity. And, the process has started. Over half of this company's workforce is based in India — with over 100,000 employees.
“As an IT services company, our people are at the heart of our business and we are permanently rolling out widespread reskilling programs to build new capabilities that meet clients’ evolving digital transformation needs. The net headcount in India has continued to grow well with strong hiring year-on-year and our perspectives for 2020 look good too. Globally we also continue to increase our overall headcount was up 5.1% year on year,” the company said.
There are departures, reskilling, reassignments and arrivals across the industry. The company claims to have reskilled over 51,000 people in 2019 so far. It skilled employees on emerging technologies — cloud, devOps, and big data.
On the other hand, Indian IT major Infosys is expected to layoff almost 10% of its workforce — accounting for 12,000 jobs. The move will affect the senior and mid level employees. The company employs over 900 senior executives and up to 5% of them may be asked to resign from their posts, India Today reported.
But the company has denied it. "As a high-performance organisation, involuntary attrition is integral to normal course of business and this should not be interpreted as any mass trimming across any level," Infosys told TOI.
These layoffs comes on the back of ongoing job cuts in Cognizant. According to a recent announcement, as many as 7,000 mid and senior level jobs are on the line — accounting for 2% of its workforce. Nearly 5,000 employees will be redeployed into other job roles. This might also affect its workforce in India.
“To improve cost structure to partially fund these investments and advance Cognizant’s growth agenda, it has made the decision to remove approximately 10,000-12,000 mid-to-senior level associates worldwide from their current roles in coming quarters,” Karen McLoughlin, CFO, Cognizant said.
7,000 Cognizant jobs are on the line as the tech major rejigs workforce
AdvertisementH-1B visa rejection rates rise sharply — 30% of Cognizant, Capgemini, Accenture, Wipro and Infosys applications denied
The Infosys clean-up under Salil Parekh seems to have come a full circle within 2 years
Popular on BI
- Indian equity market enters coveted USD 4-trillion market cap club for first time
- Lesser known facts about Charlie Munger, Warren Buffet’s second and accomplice
- Fedbank Financial Services IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Flair Writing IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Mini Ratna IREDA stock zooms on debut with over 60% listing gains