Here are the US professions with the biggest risk of getting hit by coronavirus - and the threat goes way beyond hospitals
- The novel coronavirus continues to spread, triggering fears of a global economic downturn.
- Business Insider used data from the US Labor Department to look at what occupations could be hit the hardest by a broader outbreak.
- In addition to medical professionals and first responders, many service workers like couriers and fast-food workers could be impacted by the new illness.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China has continued spreading, infecting over 83,000 people around the world, most of whom are in China.The virus has reached the United States, with 60 cases confirmed so far. The ongoing spread of the virus has triggered fears of an economic downturn, with US stocks tumbling over the week.
The Labor Department's O*NET database includes ratings for hundreds of occupations for dozens of work characteristics, activities, and skills. We took a look at various factors that could make a particular occupation more susceptible to a breakout of a highly infectious illness: Risk of exposure to diseases and infections, physical proximity to other people, direct contact with the public, and freedom to make decisions like being able to stay home if they or their family members are ill.Medical professionals and first responders are likely to be on the front lines in any major disease outbreak. But in addition to those groups, service and transportation workers could also be at risk of contracting or spreading an epidemic virus.
Jobs without a lot of flexibilityAdvertisement
Actors, dancers, and other performersAdvertisement
- Petrol, diesel prices hiked again after a three day pause
- Gurugram: Over 4,500 health workers to get vaccine on Monday
- 13,788 new coronavirus infections reported in the last 24 hours in India
- The ₹4,600 crore IPO from IRFC is ‘attractive,’ and the best thing about the borrowing arm for Indian Railways is the assured margin
- Realme and Samsung top consumer choices in the mid-range segment as per a survey