I drive for Uber and Lyft - here are 9 situations when you should definitely tip your driver
- I've been driving for Lyft and Uber for several months, and noticed that about 20% to 25% of my passengers choose to tip me.
- Drivers don't passengers to tip every single time, but certain situations definitely call for it.
- If your driver goes above and beyond by helping you with your bags, taking you to a faraway destination, or providing you with a memorable experience, you should pay a little extra.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
I've been driving for Uber and Lyft for several months now.I think I'm a good driver - I have a 4.99 rating, with hundreds of 5-star reviews, and a couple of 4-star reviews (who rates a driver 4 stars?). I have mostly good experiences, a couple of bad experiences, and I have learned a lot since becoming a driver. Advertisement
But one of the things that I have learned is honestly shocking: Not everyone tips their driver.
This is baffling to me. Maybe I'm old-school here in America, but I make sure to always tip people in any service industry.A waiter receives a 20% tip. A bartender that simply opens the cap off of a beer in 2 seconds receives a 20% tip. Taxi drivers have always gotten tips. The list goes on: hairdressers, housekeepers, food delivery drivers, valet drivers, photographers, bellhops, concierges, massage therapists, and even tour guides.
Most people would not even bat an eye at tipping any people in these professions. But somehow, Uber and Lyft drivers became exempt from this group.Related: I'm a driver for Uber and Lyft - here's exactly how much I make in one week on the jobNaturally, I love getting tips. It tells me that you liked your ride so much that you gave me extra money. That's the greatest compliment of all. You can tell me I'm nice, you can tell me how clean my car is, and you can leave me all the 5-star reviews you want, but 5-star reviews don't pay the bills. There is nothing sweeter than getting a little notification that says "You received a tip!"Advertisement
I would estimate that on average, roughly 20% to 25% of my passengers leave me a tip. After talking with many other drivers, my tip rate seems to be a lot higher than usual.
Of course, it's unrealistic to expect every customer to tip. However, certain situations definitely call for a tip.With that in mind, here are nine situations in which you should definitely tip your Uber or Lyft driver.Advertisement
Tip if your driver helps you with large luggage or lots of grocery bags.
Tip if you bring a pet along for the ride with you.Advertisement
Tip if your passenger rating is low.
Tip if your driver has an exceptionally clean and nice-smelling vehicle.Advertisement
Tip if your driver is a genuinely nice person.
Tip if you're on a long ride, or your dropoff location is in a rural area.Advertisement
Tip if you’re making a stop that lasts more than a couple of minutes.
Tip if your group is rowdy or obviously drunk.Advertisement
Tip if you tell your driver 'I'll tip you in the app.'
My tip to you: Please tip your drivers.Advertisement
- Pvt labs starting TrueNat/CBNAAT based tests for COVID be encouraged for NABL seal: ICMR to states
- 2,520 fresh COVID cases in Delhi take tally to over 94K; death toll rises to 2,923
- Bengal's COVID-19 tally crosses 20,000-mark with record one-day spike of 669 cases
- Assam govt starts plasma bank; first donor is doctor who recovered from COVID-19
- Monsoon session of Bihar Assembly from Aug 3