The 7 most outrageous things people have tried to expense to their work accounts
- Unauthorized purchases being expensed to companies spike around the holidays.
- AppZen, an AI platform for finance teams, analyzed millions of anonymous expenses from its December 2018 customer data.
- AppZen found that incidents of unauthorized spending on gifts being submitted for reimbursement averaged around $4,800 each.
- Food and alcohol were particularly popular expenses: alcohol expenses were six times higher while meal expenses were seven time higher in December as compared to the monthly average.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
If the thought "I wish I could expense this" has flickered across your mind while swiping your credit card for holiday shopping, you are not alone.AppZen, an AI platform for finance teams, analyzed millions of anonymous expenses from its December 2018 customer data to uncover unauthorized holiday spending being expensed to companies.
Food and alcohol were particularly popular expenses: unauthorized expensed meals increased sevenfold in December 2018 as compared to the monthly average, and unauthorized alcohol spending was sixfold the monthly average at a whopping $573 per incident.Here are the seven most outrageous things people have tried to expense to their work accounts.
7. Gambling in Las Vegas
6. Strip clubs visitsAdvertisement
3. Gold watches, cuff links, and jewelry
2. Guns and bulletsAdvertisement
1. Spa trips
- Chennai volunteer for SII's Covid vaccine claims Rs 5 cr compensation for health complications
- ASEAN distances from China's Covid vaccine diplomacy
- Centre seeks 300-400 mn vaccine doses, says SII's Poonawalla
- Adar Poonawalla says SII will seek emergency use authorisation for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in two weeks
- PM reviews vaccine progress at Serum Institute in Pune