CBS CEO Les Moonves got a big pay bump to nearly $70 million last year
REUTERS / Danny Moloshok
Part of that package was a massive $32 bonus in cash and another $32 million in stock awards. Moonves' salary was $3.5 million. The filing cites the total CBS shareholder return of 37% in 2016 as evidence of Moonves' leadership.
In the filing, the board wrote in the filing that Moonves was instrumental in "developing and producing CBS-owned content that generates both high ratings and lucrative licensing opportunities."
One particular area the filing stressed was Moonves' leadership in helping CBS navigate the digital future.
The filing mentions Moonves helping secure "skinny-bundle" and "streaming" deals. In the industry, CBS has been a notoriously tough negotiator on new internet TV packages, and as a result wasn't on some of the early ones, like Sling TV and DirecTV Now. However, CBS is on the recently launched YouTube TV and Hulu's upcoming service.
The filing also point to CBS' performance in making its own a-la-carte streaming services.
"Mr. Moonves demonstrated to key stakeholders that CBS remains a leader in the evolving media landscape by developing and expanding the Company's streaming products, such as CBS All Access and Showtime, to better position the Company for the digital future," the filing said. In February, Moonves said both had reached around 1.5 million subscribers.
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- Mark Zuckerberg just ushered in a new era of tech, where profitability and efficiency trump perks and culture
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- Poco X5 Pro Review - Solid performance, boring design
- PM launches 20% ethanol blended petrol in 11 states/UTs
- ITC stock scales 52-week high as brokerages hike target price
- Last mile deliveries, food aggregators to drive E2W growth says Redseer
- Poco’s mid-range smartphone X5 Pro 5G launched in India starting at ₹22,999