CHART OF THE DAY: Young Girls Are The Biggest Victims Of Mobile Cyberbullying
Cyberbullying, particularly over mobile, is an unfortunate trend. According to the Cyberbullying Research Center (CRC), over 80% of teens use a cell phone regularly, which is why bullying over that medium is so common. And based to the latest data from Ofcom research, which also included fieldwork from UK research firm Saville Rossiter-Base, it seems as though preteen girls are the biggest victims of mobile bullying, according to the victims and those who know them.
According to Ofcom's data, which was charted for us by BI Intelligence, preteens and young teenagers aged 12-15 - in other words, middle schoolers - reported more bullying experiences for themselves and others, compared to younger children. Girls also reported more instances of bullying than boys - about themselves and others. But why did more children report bullying happening to others as opposed to themselves? According to the CRC, "only 1 in 10 teens tells a parent if they have been a cyber bully victim," and "well over half of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs," which might mean kids are less likely to talk about getting bullied to any adults, period.
The CRC has a helpful list of suggestions for parents who want to reduce cyberbullying statistics.
Thanks to this tweet from Benedict Evans, where we first saw this data.
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Dream 11 parent Dream Sports to hire 200 people in India across various domains
- Snap's stock plummets by 22% as Apple’s iPhone privacy changes hit its advertising business
- Twitter now lets anyone on Android and iOS host Spaces
- PUBG: New State with ‘PC-like’ gameplay will officially launch on November 11
- Nykaa has added a skincare brand to its shopping cart, a week before its IPO