From Chicken Biryani to Samosas, here’s what Indians ate while watching the IPL
- Indian food unicorns
Zomatoand Swiggyhit the ball out of the park this Indian Premier League with their crazy discounts, that had users who don’t even watch IPLstay tuned to the game.
- Through Zomato, Delhi led the race with 1.5 million predictions.
- On Swiggy, Chicken Biryani emerged as the favourite order. No surprises there.
Food unicorns like Zomato and Swiggy pulled a yorker during the IPL by introducing games that offer discounts and a shot at predicting the winner of the match.
Zomato started with the
Meanwhile, Swiggy took a more instant approach with its Swiggy6, where users could get a 60% discount if they ordered within 6 minutes of a batsman hitting a six. What’s more, Swiggy partnered and integrated its app with Hotstar, which allowed users to watch and order food at the same time. Orders on Swiggy, by order numbers and GMV) shot up by 30% during match timings (7-11 pm) compared to non-cricket days.
But when it comes to the most asked question – 'What to eat?' the two startups showed some interesting results.
Swiggy results showed that the top dishes across India were Chicken Biryani, Paneer Butter Masala, Chicken Fried Rice, Kadai Paneer, Masala Dosa, Veg Biryani and Tadoori Chicken. But one Swiggy user in Ahmedabad showed love for IPL and samosas by ordering a total of 1140 samosas during this season.
AdvertisementMeanwhile, Zomato managed to trace the winner for its IPL predictions –
Brands can no longer ignore Indian women during the country's most popular sporting event
Indians following IPL are asking Alexa five questions on cricket every minute
Popular on BI
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again