China just took another step to boost its struggling economy - but experts say it needs to do far more
- China lowered borrowing costs for the second month in a row on Friday in an effort to bolster its struggling economy.
- The People's Bank of China cut its Loan Prime Rate (LPR) by 5 basis points to 4.2%, a much smaller move than those made by the US Federal Reserve and European Central Bank in recent weeks.
- But experts are warning that the cut might not be enough to stave-off slowing growth brought on by the ongoing trade war with the US.
- Visit the Markets Insider homepage for more stories.
China cut its new one-year benchmark interest rate for the second month in a row on Friday, marking the country's latest attempt to shore up economic growth. But experts are warning the effort might not be enough to prevent a slowdown brought on by the ongoing trade war with the US.The People's Bank of China lowered its loan prime rate (LPR) by 5 basis points to 4.2%, a much smaller move than those made by the US Federal Reserve and European Central Bank in recent weeks. Advertisement
He continued: "With economic activity likely to come under further pressure in the coming quarters and monetary easing so far failing to generate much of a pick-up in credit growth, we think the PBOC will need to start engineering larger declines in the LPR before long."Read more: GOLDMAN SACHS: These 20 beaten-down stocks are perfectly primed for a huge comeback - and you should buy them for cheap right now
The small move suggests China is hesitant to follow in the footsteps of other global central banks due to concerns of rising debt levels, according to Reuters.The cut comes at welcome time for Chinese producers. Industrial output growth slid to a 17 and a half-year low in August as the trade war with the US continued to weigh on manufacturers. Advertisement
- Elderly woman dies of COVID-19 in HP, 6 fresh cases reported
- Record 6,977 new COVID-19 cases in India in last 24 hours; death toll climbs to 4,021
- with 63 new coronavirus cases Bihar reached at 2574 till 25th May morning
- Apple TV+ promotes kid-friendly content as summer vacation begins
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairman's new development model for India suggests replacing English with an indigenous language