Colts lineman penalized for thrusting his hips in the face of an official
- Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle Denico Autry was called for a 15-yard taunting penalty on Saturday for his celebratory dance after sacking Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.
- Autry's dance, which occurred directly in front of the referee, was deemed "suggestive" and thus worthy of a 15-yard penalty.
- The scene was eerily reminiscent of a popular "Key & Peele" sketch.
The Indianapolis Colts lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 31-13 on Saturday in a game that had few bright spots for the Colts.The Colts had won 10 of their last 11 games heading into Kansas City, but couldn't get anything going on Saturday, failing to score an offensive touchdown until the final five minutes of the game and going a dismal 0-9 on third down conversions.Advertisement
Indianapolis' entire performance was a comedy of errors, and the funniest play of the game came courtesy of defensive tackle Denico Autry, who got a little too excited when celebrating his sack of Patrick Mahomes.
Autry made a big stop for the Colts, sacking Patrick Mahomes on fourth down, but unfortunately decided to take part in a suggestive celebratory dance right in front of the official after the play.Autry was penalized for taunting, pushing the Colts back 15 yards before their possession even began.
Some, such as ESPN's Bill Barnwell, were perplexed by the referee's decision.As it turns out though, Barnwell's question wasn't too far off from the truth. According to the NFL rules regarding celebrations, actions deemed "suggestive" are not permitted, in addition to violent or offensive gestures.On Twitter, people were quick to point out the similarities between Autry's celebration and that of Hingle McCringleberry, from the popular "Key & Peele" sketch.Advertisement
Safe to say, it simply wasn't the Colts' day.
- More NFL coverage:
- Andy Reid scolded Chiefs fans during playoff game for throwing snowballs at Colts punter
- Patrick Mahomes' teammates keep him from getting a big head by imitating his voice and nobody does it better than Andy Reid
- Nick Foles can't stop winning - and it puts the Eagles in a difficult situation as his free agency looms
Was Denico Autry taunting the ref? Got a 15-yard penalty for this....pic.twitter.com/G7KTLoPndH- NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) January 12, 2019
Was Autry penalized for taunting a referee with his sexiness?- Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) January 12, 2019
you can do celebrations now but you can't do sexy celebrations pic.twitter.com/J3xr5K44Of- Rodger Sherman (@rodger) January 12, 2019
Denico Autry has been watching too much Key & Peele pic.twitter.com/r1yYMLbiaG- DraftKings (@DraftKings) January 12, 2019
- From SoftBank to Google's Waymo – all you need to know about Reliance Jio's latest investor Mubadala's investments
- HPBOSE class 10th result: Himachal Pradesh board will not declare result on June 5, revised date to be announced later
- Slack joins Amazon to take on Microsoft Teams
- Solar eclipse June 2020 date, time, schedule: Everything you need to know
- Beyond ‘khichdi’ and ‘samosa’ — a former diplomat explains why four agreements will take India and Australia ties to the next level