India Inc bats for women empowerment on International Mother’s Day
- Women employability in India has been consistently low -- at 25% of the total working population over the last five years.
- Startups and companies in India are promoting campaigns as an effort to increase women engagement.
- Under the ‘Start-Ups’ initiative, the industrial body Assocham has come up with partnership program via skill development and vocational training.
While women headcount in the organisations and top-level roles may have shown growth, overall women participation in India’s workforce has declined from 31.2% in 2011 to 23.3% in 2017-18, according to data by the National Sample Survey Office. (NSSO).
While many brands are stuck to the traditional
“Rising participation of women in the workforce will need a different environment in which child care, working hours, and workplace structures should be transformed. Several firms have already started reorienting and aligning their operational structures with the changing needs of working women, given today’s environment of increased mobility and nuclear family structures,” Assocham President BK Goenka said in a statement to TOI. Among its initiatives is partnership program for skill development and vocational training, and an all women-run manufacturing company.
Moving the needle to women in sports, sportswear brand Adidas, India, launched a new campaign film ‘SHE BREAKS BARRIERS’ as an effort to increase women engagement, news agency IANS reported.
'She Breaks Barriers' showcases three powerful and leading national icons -- sprinter Hima Das, heptathlete Swapna Barman and boxer Nikhat Zareen and delivers on the message that each woman has the capability to achieve their dreams, no matter how big, and that no barrier is daunting enough to hold them back.
Apparel company BIBA made a reference to all mothers including entrepreneurs.
You don’t need a reason to snap a shot with your babies, but we’ll give you one. Upload a picture of you and your baby, of any and every kind, with #IAmAMomToo and tell us what being a mom to them means and the best ones stand a chance to win exciting gift vouchers. pic.twitter.com/jl9XAXac5P— Biba (@BibaIndia) May 11, 2019
Women’s day in numbers: 9 grim reminders that Indian women are still a long way off from empowerment
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders