Craigslist is getting on the bitcoin bus - sellers can now show they accept cryptocurrencies
- Craigslist just added a new button where sellers can indicate that they'll take cryptocurrencies as payment.
- The notoriously minimalist site won't process the payments. Buyers and sellers still have to exchange payment for goods at the point of sale.
- Cryptocurrencies are widely believed to be a good way to exchange money in cases where you don't know or trust the person who's buying from you, since it is guaranteed payment unlike a check, which can bounce.
Craigslist is making it easier than ever for customers to accept cryptocurrency when selling used goods on the online marketplace.
The notoriously minimalist website added a new button which lets sellers indicate if they accept cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin and ether in exchange for the thing they're trying to sell. Craigslist displays the new check box, first noticed by a Reddit user on Thursday, when sellers are creating a new listing. The box is in the "posting details" section of the listing form, near other standard fields such as "contact information."
Craigslist doesn't offer an on site payment option. Encouraging sellers to use cryptocurrencies could resolve a key concern they often face - finding a method of payment they can trust.
Checks can bounce, for example. And while cash is often the currency of choice on Craigslist for purchases of smaller items, it can be unwieldy or impractical for higher value items such as cars or televisions.
It's this exact issue - the issue of trust - which makes bitcoin and other blockchain-based technologies useful. Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies allow for the direct, nearly instantaneous, and guaranteed transfer of money from one person to another.
- Credit Card Industry and Market
- Mobile Payment Technologies
- Mobile Payments Industry
- Mobile Payment Market, Trends and Adoption
- Credit Card Processing Industry
- List of Credit Card Processing Companies
- List of Credit Card Processing Networks
- List of Payment Gateway Providers
- M-Commerce: Mobile Shopping Trends
- E-Commerce Payment Technologies and Trends
NOW WATCH: What those tiny rivets on your jeans are for
- How a tiger-infested Assamese forest got reduced to barren wasteland in only a decade, and then bounced back
- Mani Ratnam's 'Ponniyin Selvan-I' box office collections at ₹200 crore
- DHFL case: Delhi court dismisses statutory bail plea of Wadhawan brothers
- Four Indian-American teens win top prize for young heroes
- Mangalyaan: All you need to know about India’s first historic mission to Mars