'Crazy Rich Asians' earns the biggest Labor Day weekend box office in over a decade
- "Crazy Rich Asians" wins the domestic box office for a third-straight weekend, earning around $30 million by Labor Day, once again outperforming industry projections.
- It's the best Labor Day weekend performance in 11 years.
- It also marks the fourth straight weekend Warner Bros. has topped the domestic box office, going back to when it won the weekend in early August with "The Meg."
The Labor Day holiday weekend has traditionally been slow at the multiplex, as all the big summer hits have come and gone and none of the fall award season titles have come out yet.But like everything that's happened in theaters this year, even Labor Day is performing above expectations.
That's the best Labor Day weekend performance in 11 years. The only other movie to hit $30 million over the four-day Labor Day holiday weekend was 2007's "Halloween.""Crazy Rich Asians" now has a domestic total of $111 million, exceeding the expectations of Warner Bros., which has already greenlit a sequel from the Kevin Kwan series of books.
The end of the summer has been great for Warner Bros. This marks the fourth-straight weekend the studio has won the domestic box office, going back to early August when its Jason Statham shark movie, "The Meg," won the weekend.That title has also kept a nice pace domestically, coming in second place this weekend with $10.5 million and now totaling $112 million domestically (over $450 million worldwide).This performance by Warner Bros. titles to close the summer proved that sequels weren't the only thing that fueled the season, which had a $4.8 billion total in 2018 - a far cry from last summer's awful 11-year low 3.86 billion.
- Pidilite shares surge as the 61-year old company acquires Araldite maker for ₹2,100 crore
- Chennai lashed with rainfall, many roads waterlogged
- Pinterest stock soars 23% as the social media platform garners 442 million global monthly active users
- Top stock movers — Bharti Airtel, RBL Bank, Pidilite, Titan, Hero Motocorp, Asian Paints, TCS, L&T and others
- Manforce Condoms aims to capture 50% market share by 2023