2 crypto pros break down why bitcoin in the clear for now after plunging 35% in a matter of days
- Insider spoke to two cryptocurrency professionals on why they're still bullish towards
- Bitcoin plunged 35% in a matter of days, then saw renewed selling pressure after China reiterated its bitcoin-mining clampdown.
- The bitcoin bulls said the cryptocurrency will see range-bound trading in the short term.
After taking a one-day breather following a week-long plunge that saw it lose more than 35%, bitcoin resume its sell-off on Friday after China reiterated its crackdown on bitcoin mining and trading.
Despite the quick succession of blows, two
"We believe that most of the leverage is out of the system now and bitcoin should start to form a base here," Pankaj Balani, CEO at Delta Exchange, a crypto derivatives exchange, told Insider.
Balani did acknowledge that bitcoin's recent travails have eroded investor confidence, meaning it will take time for the cryptocurrency to gain sustained upward momentum.
He also added that bitcoin's price action until the end of May will be critical, although he does think the asset's price has already bottomed out. Balani did note the $36,000 level as a support threshold, adding that a conclusive breach would signal a longer-term pullback.
To David Jones - chief market strategist at Capital.com, a crypto trading platform - corrections like this are normal. He cites bitcoin's cult-like following as a reason why the cryptocurrency won't stay downtrodden for long.
"So has the bitcoin bubble burst?" he said. "Don't bet on it. Its devoted band of followers means that the crypto-grandaddy has a phoenix-like superpower to rise again."
Further, in a video published on May 19, billionaire Mike Novogratz said bitcoin will consolidate for weeks, if not a couple of months - although he didn't give a price range.
"We're not going to put Humpty Dumpty back together again in a week," said Novogratz. "But I want to stress loud and clear that the underlying progress that's happening in both the bitcoin ecosystem ... is full speed ahead."
Read more: 7 crypto heavyweights told us what's behind the sudden sell-off that erased over $400 billion from the market in just 24 hours - and whether now is the time to 'buy the dip'
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know