Big investors are dumping bitcoin futures and pivoting to ethereum as expectations for the world's largest cryptocurrency soften, JPMorgan says
- Institutional investors are shying away from
bitcoinfutures as views on the top cryptocurrency soften, JPMorgansaid.
- In September, bitcoin futures have traded below the price of an actual bitcoin, analysts said.
- Big investors have begun steadily pivoting to
ethereumsince August amid a "strong divergence in demand."
Big-money investors are shying away from the bitcoin futures trade and pivoting instead to ethereum futures as expectations for the world's largest cryptocurrency soften, JPMorgan analysts wrote in a note on Wednesday.
In September, bitcoin futures on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange have traded below the price of an actual bitcoin, the analysts noted.
"This is a setback for bitcoin and a reflection of weak demand by institutional investors that tend to use regulated CME futures contracts to gain exposure to bitcoin," the analysts wrote.
Under healthy demand, futures usually trade at a premium to actual bitcoin. This happens because high bitcoin storage costs and the juicy yields available for passive crypto investing push up futures prices, according to previous JPMorgan research.
That dynamic makes the current weakness in futures especially bearish for bitcoin, the analysts wrote.
Meanwhile, institutional investors have begun steadily pivoting to ethereum since August. The 21-day average ethereum futures premium rose to 1% over actual ether prices, according to CME data cited by JPMorgan, showing a "strong divergence in demand."
"This points to much healthier demand for ethereum vs. bitcoin by institutional investors," the JPMorgan analysts wrote.
Ether prices have fallen 3% in the last month while bitcoin has fallen 10%.
Last week, JPMorgan's
- Female African elephants evolved toward being tuskless over just a few decades as poachers sought ivory
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Federal Bank is offering internships for fresh graduates — Check out stipend, incentives and other details
- Best smartphones with 90Hz display under ₹20,000 in India
- Best 2.1 channel soundbars in India
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best multi-pin charging cables in India
- India vs Pakistan at T20 World Cup — Where to watch the match