Billionaire founder of crypto exchange Binance says he's 'poor again' after its luna holdings — once worth $1.6 billion — crashed and are now worth just $2,200
Cryptoexchange Binance's founder Changpeng Zhaotweeted "poor again" after crypto-token lunacrashed.
- Binance's holdings of the coin were once worth $1.6 billion but are now worth about $2,200.
Chanpeng Zhao, the wealthy founder of crypto exchange Binance, joked on Tuesday that he was "poor again" after the exchange's investments in the luna cryptocurrency crashed from $1.6 billion just a month ago to about $2,200 this week.
In a tweet on Monday, Zhao said that Binance, the world's largest crypto exchange, held 15 million luna tokens. Binance received these tokens in exchange for its $3 million investment in 2018 into the
Insider has reached out to Zhao for comment.
Binance's luna holdings were worth $1.6 billion in early April when the token hit its peak price. But its recent crash saw that value shrink to about $2,200 this week. The coin is trading at about $0.0001468 as of Thursday.
Luna's value has rapidly plunged in the past two weeks.
Its implosion started when its sister token, TerraUSD, lost its peg to the US dollar two weeks ago. The two tokens' valuations are tied to each other. When
The two tokens' free fall was estimated to have wiped out more than $50 billion in paper value, Insider reported on Sunday.
Zhao on Monday urged the Terra team to reimburse its retail investors first. "To lead by example on PROTECTING USERS, Binance will let this go and ask the Terra project team to compensate the retail users first, Binance last, if ever," he tweeted.
Despite his comments, Zhao, 45, definitely isn't broke. He has a net worth of about $14.8 billion as of Thursday, based on Bloomberg's estimates. The majority of his wealth likely comes from his estimated 70% stake in Binance, according to Forbes.
Binance's market value is estimated to be six times that of its nearest competitor, Coinbase, Forbes reported in March. Binance took in about $14.6 billion in trading fees last year, according to MarketWatch, which quoted a report published by financial-services consultancy Opimas.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Adani Group repays loans worth $2.65 bn to complete prepayment programme
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the red amid volatility: Adani group, SBI Cards, Indigo among stocks to watch
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023