Billionaire media mogul Barry Diller calls cryptocurrencies a 'con' and says price forecasts are 'nutso'
Barry Diller, IAC's chairman, called cryptocurrencies a " con" during a CNBC interview on Friday.
- Price calls of "$40,000, $12,000" on cryptocurrencies are "nutso talk," he told "Squawk Box."
- Diller made his comments during this week's crash in
bitcoinand other cryptocurrencies.
Cryptocurrencies are a "con," the billionaire investor Barry Diller told CNBC on Friday. He voiced his distrust of the asset class that's been dragged sharply lower this week largely on regulatory concerns.
The chairman of IAC, which runs internet and media brands including Care.com and The Daily Beast, initially balked at the question from "Squawk Box" about his thoughts on digital currency but quickly proceeded to answer.
"Yeah, absolutely," he said as he confirmed his view that
Diller, also the chairman of Expedia and the founder of Fox Broadcasting, made his comments on the same day that bitcoin swung down 10% after China reiterated its call to restrict mining and trading activities surrounding the largest cryptocurrency.
China's statement, led by Vice Premier Liu He, threw off course bitcoin's attempt to recover losses from its slide of more than 35% in a matter of days. A midweek sell-off was sparked after the People's Bank of China said digital tokens couldn't be used as a payment form by financial institutions. Other cryptocurrencies, including ether, the token of the ethereum blockchain, were also slammed lower in the wake of China's regulatory threats.
Next week, IAC is set to spin off the video-hosting site Vimeo, whose shares are set to trade under the "VMEO" ticker on the Nasdaq starting Tuesday.
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- India’s Golden Squad: The winners at Asian Games 2023
- Troubles and ethics behind the 'cute' trend of growing Kidfluencers
- Meet the Indian teens who raised funds from Sam Altman for their AI startup
- India's Henry Sugar? Jaipur man showers cash from car
- Don't ask us to help with World Cup tickets say Virat and Anushka