Bitcoin climbs 5% above a key technical level that could suggest further upside ahead
Bitcoinjumped as much as 5% on Monday, helping it clear a key technical resistance level.
- The cryptocurrency jumped above its 200-day moving average for the first time since May.
- The move higher sets bitcoin up for a test of its next resistance level near $51,000.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Bitcoin jumped as much as 5% above $46,000 on Monday, helping it clear a key technical resistance level that signals the potential for more upside ahead.
The popular cryptocurrency jumped above its 200-day moving average for the first time since mid-May, which is often viewed as a key level of support or resistance among technical analysts and traders.
Bitcoin's move higher is viewed as constructive after it staged a false breakdown below the closely watched support level of $30,000 last month. Additionally, the move higher in bitcoin amid a regulatory and legislative "assault" by China and the US represents a big risk-on signal, according to Fundstrat's Tom Lee.
"You always buy bitcoin when it breaks above its 200-day moving average," Fundstrat's Tom Lee told CNBC on Monday, calling it a key rule of
Going forward, the upside momentum in bitcoin should set it up for another test of resistance near $51,000, which represents a key fibonacci retracement level, according to Fairlead Strategies' Katie Stockton. That represents potential upside of 11% from current levels.
But Lee thinks bitcoin can go even higher before year-end, arguing that a move to $100,000 is reasonable for the popular cryptocurrency. "$100,000 into year-end is actually pretty reasonable [for bitcoin]," he concluded.
While bitcoin's move above its 200-day moving average is constructive for further gains, technical analysts will be looking for confirmation of the move, signaled by consecutive daily closes above that key level.
Read more: A 15-year professional trader breaks down why bitcoin could surge to $45,000 in the next 2 to 3 weeks before dropping to the $32,000 to $35,000 range - and lays out 3 trades for ethereum and 2 altcoins as he predicts similar moves
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Tata Motors to offload 20% stake in upcoming Tata Technologies IPO
- End Of Irrational Exuberance: Five reasons why markets are tanking In the middle of a bull run
- Riskometer: Your guide to choosing the right mutual fund
- Nifty, Sensex see red on weak global trends, unabated foreign fund outflows
- Updater Services’ stock debuts flat on the bourses