Bitcoin drops as much as 4%, sliding further from key $50,000 level
Bitcoinfell as much as 4% on Thursday, sliding further from the key $50,000 level.
- One analyst said bitcoin was struggling due to general market nerves ahead of a key speech from the Fed Chair.
- Its price has risen sharply since July, crossing $50,000 on Monday before pulling back again.
Bitcoin's price fell as much as 4.4% on Thursday as the world's biggest cryptocurrency slid further away from the $50,000 level reached on Monday.
The token then recovered some ground and traded at $46,990 at 7.35 a.m. ET, according to Bloomberg data, down 3.5% for the day.
On Monday, bitcoin rose above $50,000 for the first time since May after rebounding sharply from below $30,000 in July. The move excited pundits, who suggested it could trigger another leg higher.
But bitcoin has since lost ground, falling around 7% from its Monday high as of Thursday morning.
Edward Moya, senior market analyst at Oanda, noted bitcoin had dropped ahead of a key speech from
"Bitcoin is struggling here as investors await to see if Fed Chair Powell delivers a hawkish surprise and helps drive Treasury yields, which dampens the appeal for risky assets," he said.
The biggest cryptocurrency has been a major beneficiary of the US's huge fiscal and monetary stimulus during the pandemic-driven economic crisis. Its price could slip if Powell reveals the central bank will soon start cutting back on its support.
"Regardless of what happens this week at Jackson Hole, many cryptocurrency traders are waiting to see if risk aversion returns and triggers a bitcoin buying opportunity," Moya said.
- 479 leaked photos purporting to show Putin's secret palace, with an ice rink and pole-dancing room, published by Navalny foundation
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- One of the largest cryptocurrency swapping platforms just lost $1.3 million as users failed to update approvals
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter