Bitcoin surges above $40,000 after Elon Musk says Tesla will resume crypto payments when mining is cleaner
Bitcoinclimbed above $40,000 after Elon Musksuggested Teslamight accept it as payment again.
- Musk said he'll do it when there's proof of about 50% of mining energy used is clean.
- Tesla halted bitcoin payments last month over concern its mining process is damaging to the environment.
"When there's confirmation of reasonable (~50%)
He was responding to a Cointelegraph report that quoted Magda Wierzycka, a South African billionaire businesswoman and CEO of asset manager Sygnia, saying that Musk's bitcoin-related tweets should have led to a regulatory investigation.
According to Wierzycka, Musk deliberately pumped up bitcoin's value and then sold a chunk of his exposure at its peak. But the Tesla boss disputed this claim, saying "Tesla only sold ~10% of holdings to confirm BTC could be liquidated easily without moving market."
Bitcoin saw further gains after billionaire Paul Tudor Jones said on CNBC he likes the digital asset as a portfolio diversifier. " The only thing I know for certain, I want 5% in gold, 5% in bitcoin, 5% in cash, 5% in commodities," he said on Monday.
The cryptocurrency was last trading 13% higher around $40,700 on Monday as of 9:35 a.m. ET, and it is up 40% so far this year.
"The charts suggest consolidation followed by a rally through $41,000 targets further gains to around $44,000," Jeffrey Halley, a senior market analyst at OANDA, said.
Musk revealed in February his electric car company invested $1.5 billion in bitcoin and that it would start accepting it as payment for its vehicles. Barely three months later, Tesla made a U-turn and stopped payment in bitcoin because of how energy-intensive the mining process is.
"We are concerned about the rapidly increasing use of fossil fuels for
It isn't clear yet how Musk will gather data to assess bitcoin's clean energy use. But he previously suggested that the cryptocurrency can rid itself of its negative environmental image if top miners prove they're using greener energy by posting audited data on renewables used.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons