Cardano surges 25% in 2 days to become 3rd-largest cryptocurrency as new protocol upgrade looms
Cardanojumped 25% in a two-day surge that catapulted it to the third-biggest cryptocurrency.
- The surge was fueled by a looming protocol upgrade to cardano called Alonzo that would bring full-functionality
smart contractsto the blockchain.
- Cardano's last major leap - just last week - was also driven by Alonzo upgrade news.
Cardano's ada token leaped to as high as $2.58 on Friday from a Wednesday closing price of $2.05. The token, launched in 2017, has seen startling growth in 2021, exploding 1367% in price this year.
The surge was fueled by a looming protocol upgrade to cardano called Alonzo that would bring full-functionality smart contracts to the blockchain, in a clear challenge to
The higher price made Cardano's ada the third-biggest cryptocurrency by market cap at more than $80 billion, ahead of
Cardano's last major leap - just last week - was also driven by Alonzo upgrade news. Investors "were hyped on the optimism that a supposedly superior blockchain infrastructure with the possibility to support the next generation of smart contracts is on the horizon," executive director of
Cardano's price action comes as interest grows in exploring ethereum alternatives. Users have long complained that ethereum's high "gas" fees limit the cryptocurrency's reach, a problem that the recent EIP-1559 protocol upgrade is trying to address.
Cardano was trading at $2.54 as of 12:05 p.m. ET, up 19.4% in the last 24 hours.
- Finance minister holds pre-budget stakeholder consultation with BJP functionaries
- Amazon Sale: Best deals on kitchen items and dining products
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Best deals on kitchen appliances
- India records 2,71,202 fresh COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, active cases highest in 225 days
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale 2022 — Best deals and offers on laptops