Cathie Wood's flagship fund cashed out of Coinbase shares worth $25 million as the stock rose after bitcoin topped $57,000
Getty Images North America for Armstrong; ARK Invest for Wood.
- Cathie Wood's
Ark Investsold more than 98,000 Coinbaseshares on Monday, a trade notification showed.
- Coinbase's stock rose 3% on Monday after
bitcoinhit a five-month high above $57,000.
cryptoexchange's stock tracks bitcoin prices and trading volumes, some analysts say.
View all Offers
View all Offers
The crypto exchange's stock gained nearly 6% to reach $262.91 per share in intraday trading Monday, but closed 3.3% higher at $256.50 per share. Bitcoin topped $57,000 the same day, taking its year-to-date gains to 96%.
AdvertisementWood's Ark Innovation ETF sold 98,427 shares in Coinbase, worth more than $25 millionat Monday's closing price. The stock is still the flagship fund's fourth-largest holding after Tesla, Teladoc Health, and Roku, according to company data.
Despite its recent gains, Coinbase's stock is down 21% so far this year. It was changing hands at $254.76 per share, down 0.7% in early trading Tuesday.
The crypto company's share movements track bitcoin prices and trading volumes, some analysts suggest. "As bitcoin prices go, so goes Coinbase's stock," said David Trainer, CEO of investment research firm New Constructs.
Wood's key investing strategy typically involves a buy-the-dip approach. At various points this year, her funds have bought into short-term declines in bitcoin, Peloton, Zoom, and Ginkgo Bioworks after it was slammed by a short-seller. She has predicted that bitcoin will surge to $500,000 in five years.
Two other funds, Ark Next Generation Internet ETF and Ark Fintech Innovation ETF, also hold Coinbase stock. Together, all three combined have 6.3 million shares worth about $1.6 billion. The crypto exchange made its trading debut on the Nasdaq in April.
Separately on Monday, the Ark Innovation ETF increased its exposure to Teladoc, Crispr Therapeutics, and Intellia Therapeutics. It also sold about 16,000 in Warren Buffett-backed Chinese electric-vehicle company BYD.
AdvertisementRead More: A 'bitcoin maximalist' old school value investor breaks down why he thinks the cryptocurrency will hit $100,000 this year - and reveals the 2 altcoins he holds as speculative plays
Popular on BI
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- Best budget external hard disk drives under ₹4,000 in India
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover