Coinbase is giving away $1.2 million in dogecoin as it starts letting users trade the meme cryptocurrency
tradingplatform Coinbasesaid Thursday it's giving away $1.2 million in dogecoin.
- Coinbase announced Tuesday it would let Pro users trade
Dogecoin, sending its value surging.
- Dogecoin, which started as a joke, was the sixth most valuable cryptocurrency as of Thursday.
Coinbase said on Thursday that it plans to give away $1.2 million in dogecoin to encourage users to take advantage of its newest cryptocurrency trading option.
Users must buy or sell $100 in DOGE through Coinbase by June 10 to be eligible for the sweepstakes, the company said. Coinbase said it plans to give out one prize worth $300,000, 10 prizes worth $30,000, and 6,000 prizes worth $100 by around June 17.
The sweepstakes follows the company's announcement on Tuesday that it would start letting Coinbase Pro users trade dogecoin on its platform.
The announcement, along with a tweet from Elon Musk referencing the meme currency, sent dogecoin's value climbing by as much as 41%.
At $52.3 billion, dogecoin had the sixth-largest market cap among all
Dogecoin was started as a joke by two engineers in 2013, but has since gained immense popularity thanks to Redditors as well as endorsements from Musk and other high-profile celebrities, leading other crypto trading platforms like Robinhood, eToro, and Gemini to start accepting trades in recent weeks.
- Best baby sipper for water and milk in India
- Practo names Rahul Dravid as brand ambassador; launches new campaign to spread awareness for its secondary care procedures
- OPINION: How good is a bad bank likely to be?
- How to book Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam tickets online
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma gets nearly half of new shares as Paytm doubles its ESOP pool ahead of IPO