Elon Musk says he supports cryptocurrency in a 'battle' with fiat money, like government-backed coins and bills
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted his support for cryptocurrency over fiat money on Saturday.
- Bitcoin rose shortly after Musk's tweet.
- Musk has a history of tweeting about cryptocurrency relative to fiat money.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted his support for crypto over fiat money on Saturday, with Bitcoin prices rising on the sentiment.
"The true battle is between fiat and crypto," Musk tweeted in response to a Twitter user asking him what he thinks about people who are "angry at him because of crypto." "On balance, I support the latter."
-Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 22, 2021
Fiat money, which is the kind of currency used by most modern economies, is not backed by a physical commodity like gold. Instead the currency -- like bills or coins-- is backed by the issuing government. The dollar, euro and yen are fiat currencies.
Bitcoin rose to over $38,370 shortly after Musk's tweet. The cryptocurrency has recently seen volatile price fluctuations after Musk said Tesla would stop accepting Bitcoin payments for environmental reasons, and China reiterated that it would "crack down" on Bitcoin mining and trading.
Twitter users familiar with Musk's tweeting habits can likely recall his history of tweeting about cryptocurrencies relative to fiat money. In December 2020, Musk took to Twitter to say that "bitcoin is almost as bs as fiat money." But in February, he clarified this comment, tweeting: "when fiat currency has negative real interest, only a fool wouldn't look elsewhere. Bitcoin is almost as bs as fiat money. The key word is 'almost.'"
Musk's belief in crypto also dominated his recent SNL appearance on May 8 where he called dogecoin the "future of currency" and an "unstoppable financial vehicle that's going to take over the world."
Read more: How Twitter scammers used Elon Musk's 'SNL' appearance to defraud people of millions of dollars
"I haven't and won't sell any doge," Musk later tweeted on May 20, sending the meme-cryptocurrency's value up 15%.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report