Ether hits $500 billion market cap for the first time as the cryptocurrency's rally pushes on
Etherbreached a $500 billion valuation for the first time Wednesday.
- The milestone comes after ether hit $4,000 for the first time on May 10.
Bitcoin, which has a valuation of $1 trillion, broke the $500 billion threshold in December 2020.
Ether breached a valuation of $500 billion for the first time on Wednesday as the rally for the second-largest cryptocurrency continues.
The milestone comes after ether breached $4,000 for the first time on May 10, recording its biggest one-day gain in two years.
Ether is trading higher by 7.8% to $4,272 as of 8:15 a.m. Wednesday.
"Ethereum's monumental success this year is another reminder that digital assets have found a foothold and aren't going anywhere, even in the face of resistance from some," Paolo Ardoino, CTO of Bitfinex, said in an email.
Some have been more bearish on ether's trajectory. Analysts at JPMorgan led by Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou last week said ether should be trading around 75% lower to around $1,000.
"Prices appear to have diverged somewhat from the measures of network activity since the start of the year," the analysts wrote.
Bitcoin, which has a valuation of $1 trillion, breached the $500 billion mark for the first time in December 2020.
Many analysts have pointed to ether's advanced technological capabilities as a reason to be bullish. Ether's network houses a variety of decentralized finance applications, including non-fungible tokens.
"While no market ever moves in a straight line, I feel assured that ethereum's next major price breakthrough is already within reach, and paired with a continued push for NFTs and decentralized finance, the best is yet to come," María Paula Fernandez, advisor at Golem Network, decentralized marketplace for computing power, told Insider.
Ether is now more valuable than some legacy financial institutions such as JPMorgan and Bank of America.
- I asked Microsoft's 'new Bing' to write me a cover letter for a job. It refused, saying this would be 'unethical' and 'unfair to other applicants.'
- Microsoft's ChatGPT-powered Bing browser now available publicly
- Don't be in a hurry to prepay but plan EMIs better, say experts as home loan burden set to rise
- Startup working to bring MSMEs into metaverse secures funds on Shark Tank India
- Disney profits shine but still lays off 7,000 employees to cut $5.5 billion in costs
- These startups on Shark Tank India are run by couples who are partners in life & business
- Xiaomi 13 Pro with Leica-powered camera to launch in India on February 26 — here’s how its camera was made
- Boney Kapoor announces biography on late wife, legendary actress Sridevi