How to invest as the conflict in Ukraine intensifies: A complete guide to protecting your portfolio as global markets react to Russia's invasion
- The conflict between Ukraine and Russia has escalated into a full-scale invasion.
- World leaders have roundly condemned Vladimir Putin and vowed harsher sanctions to come.
Investors have had plenty to contend with over the first few months of 2022. The highest rate of inflation in 40 years, calls for the Fed to raise interest rates faster than previously anticipated, and the decline of some of the biggest stocks on the market have all served to drag the S&P down over 8.5% year-to-date.
Investors have been dreading the escalation of the conflict in Ukraine for some time now, but it became clear how dire the situation really was when it was revealed late last week that Russia had amassed about 190,000 troops along Ukrainian borders.
Then on Monday, Russian president Putin recognized the independence of Donetsk and Luhansk, two separatist regions in eastern Ukraine. He sent Russian troops into the regions as part of a "peacekeeping mission" that many Western leaders condemned as a pretense for an invasion.
As it turns out, those fears were not unfounded. Early Thursday morning president Putin announced that Russian troops would begin a "special military operation" in Ukraine, shortly before airstrikes began throughout Ukrainian cities.
The S&P 500 opened 2.57% lower on Thursday morning as investors awoke to the news of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Fears that this conflict will spiral out of control, coupled with Western sanctions against Russian businesses hurting global trade, as well as the potential breakdown of gas flowing from Russia into Europe, have created a melting pot of worries that investors must now contend with.
Below is a comprehensive breakdown of Insider's
How are markets handling the conflict in Ukraine
Here's where you can find breaking news coming out of Ukraine and how stock
Thursday, February 24
- Dow plummets 464 points as Ukraine declares state of emergency and US warns of imminent attack
- Oil surges to $100 a barrel for the first time since 2014, while European natural gas soars 30% after Russian attack on Ukraine
- Bitcoin tumbles to a 1-month low in broad cryptocurrency sell-off after Russia attacks Ukraine
- Commodities like oil, precious metals, and wheat are soaring after Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine
- Russian ruble hits record low, local equity indices tumble as much as 50% as Putin's forces attack Ukraine
- Sam Bankman-Fried breaks down how algos have played a big part in bitcoin's drop in light of the worsening Russia-Ukraine conflict
- Gold surges to its highest level in over a year after Russia launches attacks on Ukraine
- Retail traders are buying gold and VIX ETFs while betting against tech stocks as Russia invades Ukraine
- The Russian central bank has banned short-selling amid a 50% stock-market plunge as Russia invades Ukraine
- Nasdaq plunges 3% into bear-market territory after Russia launches attack against Ukraine
- US defense stocks rally after Russia launches attacks on Ukraine
- Bitcoin's tumble amid Russia's Ukraine invasion shows it's not the gold-like safe haven some investors think it is
- Billionaire investor Ray Dalio flagged the risk of a Russia-Ukraine clash — and warned a war might be coming
- The Ukraine invasion caught the stock market at a vulnerable moment. Here's why the timing couldn't have been worse for investors.
- Aggressive rate hikes are 'off the table' as Russia's war on Ukraine means the Fed will have to tolerate higher inflation, Mohamed El-Erian says
- Citadel's Ken Griffin says US can 'beat Putin' by ending Europe's dependence on Russian natural gas
- Russian Google competitor Yandex crashes 59% after Putin launches invasion of Ukraine
Friday, February 25
- US stocks reverse big losses as investors navigate Russia's invasion of Ukraine
- US stocks inch higher on reports Russia is open to talks with Ukraine
- Oil keeps $100 a barrel in focus after Russia's energy exports escape Joe Biden's sanctions
- Oil could soar 27% to $125 a barrel by May as the Russia-Ukraine conflict triggers a 'supply shock', Goldman Sachs says
- Bitcoin donations to Ukraine's army surge as Russian forces roll in, with $3 million coming from just a single giver
- FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried says the crypto exchange gave cash to all of its Ukrainian users
- US stocks will rally 17% by the end of this year as they shake off the Russia-Ukraine 'growth scare', RBC says
- Dow soars more than 800 points as investors hope for Ukraine-Russia talks and eye softer Fed rate hikes
Saturday, February 26 & Sunday, February 27
- A Morgan Stanley investing chief says the Russia/Ukraine conflict is 'a big deal' for markets and anyone trying to trade it on a short-term basis will likely struggle
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine has got Wall Street worrying about a recession — here's why, and what role sanctions play
- Bitcoin donations are pouring into Ukraine. 3 experts broke down the effectiveness of crypto during humanitarian crises.
Monday, February 28
- As Russia invaded Ukraine, bitcoin plunged — here's what Sam Bankman-Fried, Michael Saylor, and other top voices in crypto had to say about it
- The world's largest sovereign wealth fund says it'll dump its Russian assets over the Ukraine invasion
- Russians are scrambling to withdraw US dollars at ATMs as the ruble hits a record low on sweeping Western sanctions
- Global stocks tumble, while oil and gold jump as Western sanctions slam Russia's economy
- Russia's central bank hikes interest rates to 20% and buys gold as the ruble crashes to a record low following tough Western sanctions
- Ukraine calls on crypto exchanges to block Russian addresses, saying it's 'time to sabotage ordinary users'
- Russia's biggest bank plunges 77% while the ruble hits a record low, as sanctions threaten to cripple the country's economy
- Oil and gas prices jump after Western allies bring in tougher sanctions on Russia that could choke its exports
- Vladimir Putin 'has lost this war – and so have markets,' Rabobank's global strategist says, as Russia's ruble craters and volatility hits stocks
- Billionaire investor Bill Ackman says he wouldn't trust Russian banks after SWIFT sanctions – as bank runs begin in Moscow
- Russia's central bank has closed the country's stock market and instructed brokers to block foreign sales as losses mount
- The US may target Russia's access to bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as possible further sanctions amid Ukraine war
- US stocks sink as Western sanctions against Russia ramp up while Ukraine talks begin
- A Russian stock ETF plunges 23% as the country's market remains closed amid deep losses
- From sanctions to bitcoin donations, here's how crypto is playing a major role in the Ukraine war
- JPMorgan says investors should hold onto stocks despite the Russia-Ukraine conflict, or they'll miss out on the rebound
- BP falls 8% after cutting ties with Russian oil giant Rosneft, adding to mounting financial woes following the Ukraine invasion
- US exchanges halt trading in plummeting Russian stocks as Moscow grapples with whether to reopen markets
- Investors who think the stock market is back to normal should stay 'humble' and position for continued Russia-Ukraine uncertainty, Mohamed El-Erian says
- Stifel's equity chief cuts his S&P 500 forecast, now sees a 7% decline in 2022 as stocks 'remain hostage' to risks surrounding Russia's invasion of Ukraine
Tuesday, March 1
- Cryptocurrencies rebound, with bitcoin rising as much as 14%, as Russian and Ukrainian buyers pile in
- Russia's central bank shuts the country's stock market for a 2nd day as analysts warn it is 'uninvestable'
- Billionaire investor Carl Icahn says Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't as big a deal for markets as inflation
- Oil heads to $100 a barrel as Ukraine crisis chokes off cash lines to Russian exporters
- Bitcoin's strength is being driven by Russians choosing the crypto as an avenue to move their wealth out of the country, legendary investor Mark Mobius says
- Ukraine says it is now accepting polkadot as part of the crypto donations to fund its resistance to Russia's invasion
- Russia will ban Western companies from exiting investments as BP and others dash for the door
- Russian stocks are increasingly untradeable as more exchanges around the world suspend them amid Ukraine war
- US stocks fall as Russian attack on Ukraine intensifies and oil hits 7-year highs
- International banking lobby has warned that it is 'extremely likely' Russia will default if the war in Ukraine escalates
- Ukraine asking for bitcoin donations is bullish for the cryptocurrency, veteran strategist Tom Lee says
- The lasting impact on the US economy will still come from the Fed even as the war in Ukraine intensifies, $95 billion wealth management chief says
- The IEA will release oil stockpiles in an effort to stem surging prices, new report says
- BlackRock stops issuing new shares of a Russia ETF as the $10 trillion asset manager warns the fund may miss its target
- The yield on the key 10-year Treasury is plummeting as Russia's invasion of Ukraine wears on
- Visa and Mastercard have banned Russian banks as more Western sanctions roll out
- Ukraine raises $270 million in war bonds to support military while massive Russian convoy closes in on Kyiv
- Investors should wait to buy the dip in stocks as instability from Russia-Ukraine crisis is set to persist, asset manager says
- Jamie Dimon warns the West's sanctions on Russia could have 'unintended consequences' and says market volatility is here to stay
- Dow sinks 600 points as investors brace for Russia to intensify invasion of Ukraine
Wednesday, March 2
- US futures rise after sharp sell-off, while oil surges past $110 on Russia-Ukraine conflict
- Russia shuts its stock market for a 3rd day as its government readies $10 billion to buy up plunging assets
- Oil tops $110 a barrel even after 31 countries agree to release 60 million barrels total from emergency reserves
- The Russian ruble is now worth less than 1 cent as Russia bombs Ukrainian cities and sanctions pile up
- Shares in Russia's biggest lender Sberbank crater after it quits Europe, blaming huge outflows of cash
- Warren Buffett's business partner rang the alarm after Russia's last Ukraine invasion — comparing it to Hitler's Nazis rampaging across Europe in World War II
- Guggenheim's Scott Minerd warns Russia could strike back at Western sanctions with cyberattacks to cripple financial markets
- Russia's biggest bank plunges 95% to trade at a penny as companies' shares collapse on Ukraine conflict
- Major fund managers have frozen at least $3 billion in assets exposed to Russia as Ukraine war wreaks havoc on markets, reports say
- Binance CEO says it's 'unethical' to block all Russians from accessing its crypto exchange
- America's sanctions on Russia are hurting the US 'in a profound way,' and taxpayers will bear the cost, says Citadel's Ken Griffin
- The Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine says the country is accepting dogecoin donations and urges Elon Musk and other holders to help 'save lives from Russian invaders'
- Russia's central bank cracks down harder on money going overseas as sanctions trigger rush for the exit
- Bets against energy stocks are at the highest in more than a year as the Ukraine crisis drive oil prices over $100 per barrel, S&P Global says
Thursday, March 3
- US futures flatline following a powerful rally, while oil surges to a 14-year high as the Ukraine conflict rages
- Oil rises toward $120 thanks to supply worries after Biden hints at tougher Russian energy sanctions and OPEC+ sticks with output plan
- Russia's credit rating is cut to 'junk' by Moody's and Fitch as sanctions threaten to crush the country's economy
- Commodities from coal to nickel soar as traders shun Russia exports ahead of possible supply disruptions
- London scraps trading in Russian shares following 99% drops, as Moscow closes stock exchange for a 4th day
- Concern that crypto could let Russians dodge sanctions 'underscores the need' for regulation, Fed's Powell says
- Ukraine will soon announce NFTs to support its defense against Putin's forces as crypto donations to the country surge past $50 million
- Crypto is set to get a big boost from the ruble's collapse and the growing market share of stablecoins, JPMorgan says
- Russian stocks are 'uninvestable' following the invasion of Ukraine and will be removed from indexes at MSCI and FTSE Russell
- Meme investing goes to war against Putin as Ukraine capitalizes on dogecoin, Elon Musk, and NFTs to support its military
- The Ukraine war has sent oil soaring to its highest since 2008 and sparked fears about 'stagflation'. Here's what that is, and why it's investors' worst nightmare.
- Many of the world's biggest companies have abandoned Russia over its war in Ukraine. Here are the 10 largest that have cut ties with the country — 3 of them wrote off $30 billion in assets in just 3 days.
- From dogecoin to bitcoin to polkadot, over 100,000 separate crypto donations have been made to Ukraine in a week
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine aggravated already-soaring lumber prices, and they're about to start seeing even bigger swings
- Commodity prices look set to keep soaring on Russia's invasion of Ukraine, with a 'long-building train wreck' in the natural gas market
- Moscow's stock market saw its longest shutdown, the ruble crashed 30%, and oil surged toward $120 as sanctions bit. Here are the top 10 seismic market moments after Russia invaded Ukraine.
Friday, March 4
- Oil rebounds as the Ukraine war intensifies and JPMorgan predicts prices could reach $185 by the end of the year
- Moscow shuts its stock exchange for a 5th day as London freezes trading in 8 more Russian shares
- Stocks in Europe plunge and US futures fall after Russian forces seize Ukraine's biggest nuclear plant, while commodities soar
- Russia's war against Ukraine could spiral into the world's worst energy crisis since the 1970s, a top economic historian says
- S&P Global downgrades Russia's credit rating for the 2nd time in a week as major rating agencies cut the country deeper into junk territory
- US stocks fall as Russian advance in Ukraine overshadows strong jobs report
- Russia's central bank is scrambling to prop up the country's economy. Here's everything it's done to stave off sanctions and what it could do next.
- Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong says crypto is a lifeline for regular Russians, and the exchange won't ban them unless the law tells it to
- Crushing sanctions on Russia's economy could worsen the auto and semiconductor supply-chain crisis, JPMorgan says
- Ukraine war is a 'serious inflation story' and oil markets could be in a huge hole, says RBC Capital's head of global commodity strategy
- S&P Dow Jones to remove Russia stocks from its indexes in wake of Ukraine invasion, joining MSCI and FTSE
- US stocks drop as oil prices surge again and Russia's attack on Ukraine intensifies
Saturday, March 5 & Sunday, March 6
Monday, March 7
- Russia's ruble crashes 10% to a new record low as the US and Europe consider a ban on its energy exports
- Global shares plunge and oil surges to almost $140 a barrel, as US and Europe consider a ban on Russian energy exports
- US stocks mixed as oil pulls back after skyrocketing on potential for new sanctions on Russian energy sector
- Bank of America predicts that a ban on Russian oil exports could push prices as high as $200 a barrel - and breaks down why this could trigger a global recession or stock market crash
- Gold prices hit $2,000 an ounce after investors pile into the safe-haven asset as the Ukraine crisis worsens
- 'Too big to sanction'? 10 key facts about Russia's oil and commodity exports
- A Russian debt default could spill over into emerging markets including China, according to Yale economist Stephen Roach
- Coinbase says it's blocked 25,000 Russian accounts, as the crypto exchange steps up its efforts to stamp out illicit activity
- Nickel prices soar 90% to new record high on worries about shortages from major supplier Russia
- Wheat prices soar to trigger trading halt for 5th straight day, surging nearly 50% since Russia invaded the bread basket of Europe
- The surge in oil prices on the back of war in Ukraine is pointing to potential 22% downside for airline stocks, Barclays says
Tuesday, March 8
- The US is set to ban Russian energy exports, as Europe mulls its options over oil and gas. Here's what that might do to the global market.
- Russia warns oil prices could hit $300 a barrel if the US and Europe reject Russian oil, says the move would have 'catastrophic consequences'
- Nickel prices skyrocket 110% to top $100,000 a ton, prompting a trading halt after Russian sanctions trigger a big short squeeze
- OPEC chief says there's 'no capacity in the world' that could replace Russia's 7 million barrels a day in oil supply
- Oil adds to gains as US prepares to ban Russian energy imports, while European natural gas prices trade just below record highs
- JPMorgan is removing Russian sovereign and corporate debt from all of its widely-tracked benchmark bond indices
- Goldman Sachs' renowned chief economist lays out what Russia's invasion of Ukraine will mean for global oil prices, the stock market, an 'overheating US economy' and Federal Reserve rate rises
- Legendary investor Mark Mobius says forget Russian stocks for a year — and suggests Chinese stocks will emerge as winners as Moscow turns its gaze east
- The West has already started to feel the stagflation blowback from Russia's war on Ukraine, Mohamed El-Erian says
- Crypto donations are a more efficient way to fund Ukraine's defense needs and are being spent on bulletproof vests and rations, a top minister says
- Russia's $132 billion in gold reserves could face US sanctions as new legislation seeks to choke off potential lifeline, report says
- Ukrainian boxing legend Wladimir Klitschko will release an NFT collection to support his homeland's fight against Russia
- Retail investors are still buying the dip in stocks while hedge funds sell amid war in Ukraine — and that could be a good sign for the stock market, Bank of America says
- Apple is the stock to own during the Russia-Ukraine market volatility and its new 5G iPhone SE showcases its status as a haven for investors, Wedbush says
- US stocks trade lower but whipsaw on potential developments in Ukraine-Russia talks
Wednesday, March 9
- Putin orders a ban on some Russian exports amid sweeping Western sanctions and US energy import restrictions
- Fitch warns a Russian debt default is 'imminent' as it cuts the country's credit rating again
- Moscow keeps its stock exchange closed, as Russia's central bank halts the sale of foreign currencies
- Oil falls almost 3%, pulling back on its rally after the IEA says it will work on easing oil prices in a hurry
- Cryptocurrencies are included in the scope of the sanctions against Russia, European Union says
How to invest as the conflict in Ukraine escalates
Insider has interviewed experts, pored over analyses from the biggest financial firms, and compiled the different ways that investors like you can protect your portfolio.
- Russia has invaded Ukraine, tanking stocks and propelling oil to $100. Here's what strategists say it means for markets.
- What does Russia invading Ukraine mean for markets? 13 investing experts share their outlook on the Fed's likely response, short- and long-term trades, and whether bitcoin can ever become a 'safe-haven' asset
- Wedbush's top tech analyst shares 9 stocks most likely to benefit from higher spending to counter an anticipated rise in Russian cyberattacks
- Deutsche Bank says an escalation of conflict in Russia and Ukraine could force gas prices 50% higher and see oil rise 20%. Here are the 6 sectors of the market most vulnerable to those increases — and the 2 set to be beneficiaries
- Russia just launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Investors should take these 5 steps to protect their portfolios, according to UBS
- As Russia sends troops into Ukraine, the investment chief for a firm managing $260 billion shares his outlook on 4 common strategies investors use to handle geopolitical risk
- Mega-cap tech is oversold and cybersecurity stocks will soar as firms beef up against Russian threats, Wedbush's Dan Ives says
- Markets struggled this week as tensions between Russia and Ukraine continued to rise. 5 stock-pickers share the best investing strategies they've learnt from previous geopolitical crises.
- Investing legend Mark Mobius says load up on gold, Chinese equities and other emerging market stocks to cushion against the Russia-Ukraine conflict
- A Wall Street veteran weighs in on why escalating Russia-Ukraine tensions are unlikely to delay the Fed's hawkish campaign to raise rates — and shares 3 commodity-based strategies to leverage in this environment
- The strategist who wrote the book on geopolitical alpha lays out 2 key developments to watch amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine — and shares 3 flight-to-safety trades
- Putin threatened Western powers with unprecedented consequences if they interfere in Ukraine. 3 strategists break down what that could mean for markets.
- Investing legend Mark Mobius says load up on gold, Chinese equities and other emerging market stocks to cushion against the Russia-Ukraine conflict
- 9 ETFs to buy amid geopolitical uncertainty: The CEO of an asset management firm explains what needs to be in a diversified portfolio to weather crises like the war in Ukraine
- Wall Street's top analysts are picking these 7 defense contractors as stocks to buy - with 2 offering potential returns of 20%
- Renowned strategist Tom Lee lays out 3 'extremely useful' developments amid the Russia-Ukraine conflict over the weekend — and breaks down a 4-part investing strategy as the odds of a market bottom are rising
- Is it time to buy gold? 4 strategists share their outlook for the safe-haven asset after Russia's invasion of Ukraine sent its price to almost $2,000 an ounce
- Macro strategists at a $900 billion asset manager break down how war in Ukraine and the related energy market turmoil could derail the Fed's monetary policy plans — and reveal which countries' stock markets are best placed to ride out the storm
- The UK government is drawing up plans to seize $1.5 billion in Russian-linked real estate in London. Here's how much 8 prominent oligarchs and billionaires have invested in the 'Moscow-on-Thames' property market.
- WATCH: 6 cryptos to buy for a diversified portfolio that navigates geopolitical uncertainties, according to the CEO of an investment management firm
- BlackRock's global chief strategist reveals why the world's biggest investment firm has changed its outlook on US stocks — and lays out the biggest risks for investors right now
- UBS upgrades its outlook for silver, which it believes will offer value to investors in the face of the current volatility — and lays out whether the surge in the broader commodities sector has room to run as war in Ukraine moves into a second week
- A 25-year Wall Street veteran breaks down 2 commodities strategies as prices soar amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine — and shares 5 altcoins to watch as their decoupling from bitcoin remains in the early innings
- These 17 US-listed oil and gas stocks offer upside of at least 10% as an embargo on Russian imports becomes more likely and crude prices surge towards $140 a barrel, according to Wall Street's top analysts
- 7 cybersecurity companies that could get acquired as Google's new deal and the war in Ukraine start a rush into the space, according to Wedbush's top tech analyst.
- Coforge, Fortis Health record increased mutual fund holding in Q3, HDFC Bank declines
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role