Robinhood CEO says the company is all-in on crypto and that users can expect new crypto features at 'some point'
RobinhoodCEO Vlad Tenev says the company is focused on expanding its cryptoofferings.
- He said users can expect a crypto wallet at "some point."
- It's a glimpse at the company's future ahead of it's highly anticipated
Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev announced Saturday that crypto is a lynchpin of the retail investment app's future, and a wallet could be in the works.
"We've been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to provide our crypto customers with the functionality that they've been asking for," he said. "We know you want wallets."
Users can expect a beta release of new crypto features at "some point," he said, but did not provide any further timeline. It's a more tentative proclamation than he's previously made. Back in March, Tenev promised users a crypto wallet "as fast as possible."
Robinhood users currently can't transfer crypto assets in and out of their account, potentially driving some customers to platforms like Coinbase. However, Tenev said that will be fixed as well.
"We want to introduce new features safely," he said. "And there's a lot of items we have to get right from the start."
Tenev's statements came during Robinhood's public roadshow Saturday, where the company's top executives fielded questions from the public about its upcoming IPO, planned for Thursday.
It's been clear for awhile that Robinhood, founded in 2013, was veering into the crypto world. In the company's S-1, it revealed that 17% of its first quarter revenue came from cryptocurrency transactions.
But the company has admitted that
Especially in light of the many, many headlines about the company, Robinhood's IPO is highly anticipated. In its regulatory filing, the company said it's aiming to raise as much as $2.3 billion, with a market valuation at $35 billion at the top range. In line with company's mission to "democratize finance," it will offer a third of its shares directly to customers through its app.
- Rupee gains 10 paise to close at 82.28 against US dollar
- Sensex, Nifty50 log declines to close the week in red – IT, PSU banks and energy stocks drag
- Over 1.83 lakh Indians renounced their citizenship till October says external affairs ministry
- BharatPe files arbitration to claw back co-founder Ashneer Grover's unvested 1.4% shares
- Two Adani Group companies rule as the top all-round wealth creators – here are a few other unexpected entries