These were the 5 best performing cryptos over the past week amid bitcoin bear market
- While bitcoin and ethereum dominate the headlines, there are nearly 17,000 other
- With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative
cryptocurrenciescan deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time.
- These were the five best performing cryptocurrencies over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Bitcoin's bear market has sucked the life out of many popular cryptocurrencies, with the total crypto market capitalization falling from $3 trillion to about $2 trillion today. But other cryptocurrencies are performing just fine despite the shift to a mostly risk-off environment.
With 16,803 cryptocurrencies in existence and counting, there are more than triple the number of crypto coins than there are US exchange-listed stocks. That massive amount of supply makes it nearly impossible to keep track of all the big movers in the crypto sector outside of well known coins like bitcoin, ether, and dogecoin.
The surge in new crypto coins came amid a massive bull market for the sector in 2021, but a 40% decline in bitcoin from its November high is challenging the space, especially in smaller coins that saw extraordinary gains last year like solana, cardano, and polkadot.
With less liquidity and more volatility, these alternative cryptocurrencies can deliver investors massive losses or gains in a short period of time. Shiba inu is down 65% from its recent high, but is still up big over the past year. Meanwhile, squid game token fell 99% in a single day after delivering swift gains of 75,000%.
Keeping an eye on the weekly winners can help investors identify which coins are beginning to see increased traction in the crypto community.
These were the five best performing cryptocurrencies with a market value of more than $1 billion over the past week, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
Market Value: $25.8 billion
7-Day Performance: 27.1%
Market Value: $1.1 billion
7-Day Performance: 27.9%
3. Near Protocol
Market Value: $11.9 billion
7-Day Performance: 30.0%
Market Value: $$1.2 billion
7-Day Performance: 32.9%
1. Oasis Network
Market Value: $1.9 billion
7-Day Performance: 47.4%
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Samsung launches S23 Fan Edition with Exynos 2200 in India
- Vivo launches V29 and V29 Pro to take on Nothing Phone 2, OnePlus 11R this festive season
- Job skills to change majorly by 2030 as AI inputs speed up
- Eating eggs daily: A nutritional powerhouse for your diet
- Koffee with Karan Season 8 is coming back with a Konscience